The Sewing Place

Pattern Matching

Kayfersmum

Pattern Matching
« on: August 06, 2020, 14:36:26 PM »

Most of the projects I’ve undertaken so far I’ve used either plain or busy fabrics so I haven’t had to think about lining up patterns. I’d like to make a simple iPad cushion again, but this time with a larger print using the material in the photo.

Are there any tips or guidelines I should follow when cutting the fabric to match the pattern across the seams? 

Thank I may be doing a lot of head scratching again! xx

“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

BrendaP

Re: Pattern Matching
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 15:33:59 PM »
A sketch of the finished iPad cushion would help me visualise just what you are planning to make, but it's presumably not huge, so my suggestion would be to cut all the pattern pieces on see-through tracing paper and clearly mark the seam lines onto each piece, and maybe also a note as to which edge is to be joined to which other edge.  That way you can shuffle the pattern pieces around over the fabric to see where the seams will be.

Other than that it's accurate cutting and accurate stitching of the seams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 16:49:58 PM »
It depends on where you want to match... a cushion wouldn’t need matching.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 17:09:42 PM »

Oh yes, here’s a photo of one I made earlier! 

It’s very simple - basically two rectangles of fabric, sewn together on 3 sides, filling added, then you take the centre seams of the 4th edge and pull them out to the corners before sewing straight across. Twisting it like this to make the cushion leaves seams on the top and bottom more visible.

Gosh not sure if I’ve explained that very well

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 19:09:09 PM »
AH! Like the old orange Jubbly drinks that the shop would put into their freezer!
Showing my age here, who else remembers them?

@Kayfersmum  First of all you can eliminate one seam, just cut a double length rectangle and join the short ends.
Tweek the length of the rectangle so that the seam (stitching line) goes through hearts/between two hearts.
Tweek the height of the rectangle so that the stitching lines, top and bottom, goes between rows of hearts.

If you do the necessary tweeks, the size might be a little bigger or smaller but the seams will be barely noticeable.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 23:51:53 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 20:16:32 PM »
I remember them well used to love a jubbly  :ninja:
Willing but not always able :)

Kayfersmum

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 22:41:39 PM »
@BrendaP  I remember those frozen drinks too!

Thank you for the advice, will give it a go when the fabric arrives xx

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 23:02:27 PM »
I, um, had a blackcurrant Jubbly a few weeks ago...  :|  (Not sure if that was what it was called, but it was in one of those waxed cardboard, triangular-ish wrappers.)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »

OOh now I'm thinking about the blackcurrent one 0_0