The Sewing Place

Thread problems

Gernella

Thread problems
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
I was all planned out yesterday, sew the darts, press, interface, overlocking, zip in, sew sides etc. I started stitching the darts and got that horrible clunky noise, I thought it was because I'd gone into reverse and hit air.  Re-threaded,  same thing happened, took the bottom out, cleaned, good blow out, re-thread paying a lot of attention managed until the last dart and started clunking again. So now I'm thinking I need another machine, which I hate because I then have to remember exactly how each one works, which is not as daft as it sounds really, different threading and bottom bits.  After three or four complete re-threads I managed to get it done.

I finished up leaving when I'd got the overlocking done, I couldn't be bothered to fight to put the zip in.  Later when I was wondering whether I might have a serious problem and  it might be new machine time I was sort of wondering why it should happen when it is such flipping steady teddy other times.  Then I had a lightbulb moment.  Looking for the thread, if I don't get a match I don't bother as I use Gutermann Mara 120, but this time I'd found a match, but it was two reels of some old Coats that I'd bought that came with a job lot of Gutermann threads.

So is this the problem?  I have had it occasionally before, solved by re-theading and that was it, soldiered on as usual. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Thread problems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
Obviously no expertise here...

My Brother will happily sew anything I bung in but the Juki hates Moon thread and the tension goes AWOL.

The clunking noise though... could it be an oiling/greasing issue?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »
What’s the machine @Gernella ?   Could it need a service? 
And yes it could be the thread, the needle.  Personally not a fan of Coates.  It tends to curl as it comes off the reel. 

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »
I was also given quantities of older threads like Coates, Moon thread, Sylko and unbranded overlocking threads from a lovely old friend who has since passed away.  It does seem a shame to just dispose of these i.e. Charity shop and then possibly other people will have trouble with them.  However I am still a great believe in tacking so I can use some of them up this way, but I also do embroidery, cross stitch, canvas work, and I like to put in a contrast colour taking thread so that the fabric ends up gridded to match the chart I am working on, this makes it so easy to just flick the eyes from one to another and this also ensures that I am working in the right place.  I just snip the contrast thread when it is going to get in the way and then there is no problem.  A long time ago I read that old reels of thread - like those I have been given can  break easily - part of the thread's make up, so no good really for sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:32:26 PM »
It’s usually cotton thread @Elnnina as it tends to rot.  One very irate male customer was cross because I’d told him to throw his thread away and buy a new reel.  He brought it in to complain it kept breaking.  I asked how old it was, didn’t recognise the reel.  Over 50 years old!  I’m not surprised!

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 13:11:21 PM »
What’s the machine @Gernella ?   Could it need a service? 
And yes it could be the thread, the needle.  Personally not a fan of Coates.  It tends to curl as it comes off the reel.

The machine is a Pfaff Expression 2, 11 years old, never been serviced and at this age not going to be.  For me not worth wasting the money.  It if it had been a mechanical machine, yes.  The basting stitch has never worked, went back for repair FOC, came back, still not working so no great faith in repair of computer ones.

It's the first time I have ever used another thread other than Gutermann on a sewing machine.  The overlocker and coverstitch don't seem too fussed as long as it's thread and one is at the moment full of Coates 120 overlocking thread.

DH does the occasional button repair himself, and he brings out this dog eared white cotton that came from his mother's house 40 odd years ago.  I even use Gutermann tacking thread because it comes out so easily when I do tailor tacks.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 13:36:49 PM »
Can I just say that every time I see this tread title I think 'Oh no, the software's misbehaving!'  I can't tell you how relieved I am that it's sewing thread and not a forum thread...  :laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 16:49:58 PM »
Sounds like it is a problem machine.  I’ve had computerised machines for years and if the engineer is a proper one, as in has been trained by the relative machine manufacturers then there is no problem. 

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 22:41:47 PM »
Thread (and all textiles) does deteriorate with age, especially if left exposed to sunlight.

The other thing about cotton thread, new or vintage, is that it's for sewing cotton or linen fabric, don't use it for synthetics.  Polyester thread is generally OK with cottons, though some purists will say not.

If in doubt cotton, linen, jute, hemp, rayon = cellulose fibres so use cotton thread
polyester, nylon, acrylic = synthetic fibres so use polyester thread
silk, wool, other animal fibres = protein fibres so use silk thread.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
I usually use cotton thread on silk fabric.  I find silk thread is quite strong for silk fabric and might possibly rip through the fabric if put under stress, same as polyester.  It’s what I was taught at college too.  However, nowadays it could be whatever I have in my box.  :P

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 14:29:31 PM »
Well had a changeover this afternoon, both ends. Had a good try out and no problems at all so I think problem solved. I've got a few more Coates so they can go to the charity bag.  Not much point in keeping if they cause trouble with this machine.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 22:31:19 PM »
I usually use cotton thread on silk fabric.  I find silk thread is quite strong for silk fabric and might possibly rip through the fabric if put under stress, same as polyester.  It’s what I was taught at college too.  However, nowadays it could be whatever I have in my box.  :P
There's reeled silk (filament silk) thread which is very strong and could cut into a weaker fabric, and there's spun silk thread made from all the broken bits when the filaments are being reeled.  That is like cotton thread in construction and much less likely to cut into a delicate fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.