The Sewing Place

Fabric suitable for making a cardigan

BrendaP

Re: Fabric suitable for making a cardigan
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 22:02:05 PM »
@UttaRetch   To avoid rolling edges I suggest you go for a warp knit rather than a weft knit which will be much more stable and less rolly.

I made this a couple of years ago from a warp knit with very little stretch, only about 5% mechanical stretch.  Boyfriend cardigan from Love notions.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I did faux felled seams - overlocked, pressed to one side and stitched down.  Triple zig-zag and trim close or an overcast stitch would in this case work just as well as overlocking.

I've also made Style Arc Terry but without the tie or front darts (I didn't want to break up the print design).  It's a much stretchier weft knit, about 100% stretch  and all the seams are 4 thread overlocked.  I really do think that would have been very difficult to sew without an overlocker
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The amount of stretch depends on the lycra/spandex/elastane percentage.  I don't think there is any in the black fabric, but quite a lot, maybe 10% in the pinky brown print.  Both fabrics came from The Textile Centre.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:52:14 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »
Thanks.   Can't stretch to Art Gallery (no pun intended) because they are too expensive, especially for what will be a practice garment.

Actually I'm a bit disappointed with Art Gallery fabrics, @UttaRetch, the fabric is lovely to work with, nice patterns and goes through a  coverstitch without any aggravation, but, it is quite chunky fabric, if you make a top with it, it feels quite warm, especially in hot weather. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »
Not a fabric suggestion as such, but may I suggest that wondertape can be very useful for stabilising stretch fabrics whilst sewing?  I use it mainly for bits were I can't use the overlocker, such as patch pockets or putting a zip in.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
@Acorn       That's lovely. What pattern is that?

It's the Style Arc Kim but with longer sleeves.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
Thanks, all.  You have given me a lot to consider.  If I make it and it comes out okay, there will be pictures.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 19:30:23 PM »
My immediate thought was Ponte Roma. A nice and stable knit. I made skirt with it earlier this year and it was easy to sew, and easy to wash and wear.

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 20:34:42 PM »
So French Terry- is it knit finish on one side and loopy on the inside?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »
So French Terry- is it knit finish on one side and loopy on the inside?
There doesnt seem to be any standard for French Terry.  I've had lightweight cotton knit with a looped back, lightweight cotton knit with a jaquard type weave and soft, cotton jersey with a brushed back in various weights and stretchiness - all described as French Terry.  You never quite know what you are going to end up with.
Life's too short for ironing.