The Sewing Place

Fabric suitable for making a cardigan

UttaRetch

Fabric suitable for making a cardigan
« on: August 08, 2020, 13:18:15 PM »
I am minded to have a go at the Cashmerette fuller cardigan and bearing in mind that I do not have an overlocker (intentionally) and don't want the frustration of sewing with curly, thin knits, what should I consider?

Thanks peeps.

Gernella

Re: Fabric suitable for making a cardigan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 13:24:04 PM »
I am minded to have a go at the Cashmerette fuller cardigan and bearing in mind that I do not have an overlocker (intentionally) and don't want the frustration of sewing with curly, thin knits, what should I consider?

Thanks peeps.

What about that cable knit that Favourite Fabrics sell.  That looks like too thick to curl.

https://www.higgsandhiggs.com/fabric/jersey-knits.html
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 13:30:04 PM »
I've just mentioned roly poly edges on the plaid thread. (Is that like @TartanPaint  :laughing:?)
Would it have the same effect as an overlocker if you were to zig-zag the edges? Would that make them behave? I'm really just clutching at straws here because I am desperate to sew knits but don't want to make a mess.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 13:32:46 PM »
I've sewn with cotton ponte roma which isn't very stretchy and behaved extremely well.  It was thick, though - I haven't actually been able to wear it because it hasn't been cold enough!

This was my ponte top:

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 14:15:24 PM »
I would suggest a ponte roma as it doesn't usually stretch as much as some jerseys and is a good weight.  It's worth having a look round as some ponte is very expensive.

@Acorn - by the way I like your top, is it a StyleArc pattern?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 14:17:02 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 14:23:59 PM »
Yes - Kim.  My go-to top pattern.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 15:14:21 PM »
French Terry would fit the bill. It varies in composition but isn't too stretchy and is usually lighter than ponte. It's like a stable version of cotton lycra.

Of course all these are just names and I'm often surprised (pleasantly or otherwise ) by what turns up.

I made DH a nice French terry cardi earlier this year and he wants another!

TartanPaint

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 15:41:24 PM »
I've just mentioned roly poly edges on the plaid thread. (Is that like @TartanPaint  :laughing:?)
Would it have the same effect as an overlocker if you were to zig-zag the edges? Would that make them behave? I'm really just clutching at straws here because I am desperate to sew knits but don't want to make a mess.

@wrenkins

I'll give this the attention it deserves once I get off the phone to Parcel Force. I'm ringing in a cancellation.......

><

Since when did I get associated with naughty unruly fabrics?!
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 15:58:32 PM »
It was more the plaid thread I was thinking but if you think the cap fits...  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Happymrsg

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 16:11:02 PM »
 @Acorn       That's lovely. What pattern is that?

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 16:29:24 PM »
@UttaRetch I don`t have an overlocker and only a fairly basic non-computerised machine but sew a lot of knits.  I usually use  a very narrow zig zag for the seams and finish them by sewing  together with a 3-step zig zag (pressing to one side rather than open)

They don`t look hugely tidy on the inside so when I made my first knit cardigan this year I used a stitch which is called in the manual  a "stretch decorative".  It`s hard to describe but it gives a sort of criss-cross effect, and I then trimmed the seam allowance close to the stitching.  I used just an ordinary cotton jersey - similar weight to Art Gallery - and didn`t have problems with the fabric curling but you might want something thicker for the cooler months

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 16:39:08 PM »
Thanks.  My search is for suitable fabric and I will investigate cotton jersey.  Can't stretch to Art Gallery (no pun intended) because they are too expensive, especially for what will be a practice garment.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 17:04:34 PM »
Make sure it has the required stretch!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 20:37:00 PM »
Indeed.  Cashmerette suggests at least 15%, which complicates the search so far as I am concerned.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 21:10:52 PM »
Indeed.  Cashmerette suggests at least 15%, which complicates the search so far as I am concerned.

@UttaRetch 15% is really a minimal amount of stretch for a knit. It might even be what is referred to as stable knit. I say might be as I've mostly used knits that are very stretchy with patterns that ask for that so haven't needed to educate myself about the stable knits.

Most of the knits will be greater than 15%. That's fine. You just want to avoid a knit with less stretch than recommended.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.