The Sewing Place

Hello from an absolute beginner!

rachel

Hello from an absolute beginner!
« on: August 08, 2020, 15:01:51 PM »
Hi all

Until March or April when I made my first cotton masks, I hadn't done any sewing since school days. I did them by hand and wished I had a sewing machine........

A few months later I now have my sewing maching and am taking my first tentative steps in this world. I am astounded by the generosity of people who are willing to share their expertise for free - whether on forums like this, tutorial videos, whatever and look forward to learning from all of you.

(And they promised me wine...  :toast: )

wrenkins

Re: Hello from an absolute beginner!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 15:05:44 PM »
 :toast: :cake: :drink: :gin:
Hello and welcome. Come in and make yourself at home. Someone breakout the Garibaldis.
What do fancy trying @rachel? Apparel, home, P&Quilting? We cater to all tastes and (some of us) have opinions on everything.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 15:21:24 PM »
Welcome @rachel.  I am sure we can help in due course.

rachel

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 15:27:04 PM »

What do fancy trying @rachel? Apparel, home, P&Quilting? We cater to all tastes and (some of us) have opinions on everything.  :)
I'm hoping to be able to make clothes - have started with a simple shift dress pattern and will see how that goes

I'm also a crocheter. I have vague memories of my gran teaching me when I was young but then took it up again much later in life. Again, mainly clothes. I'm way more experienced (but not necessarily better!) with crochet than with sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 15:38:27 PM »
Hi @rachel welcome from me  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

maliw

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 17:08:39 PM »
Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy being one of us.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 17:13:39 PM »
Welcome from me. Hope to see you on The Dark side one day soon
Triumph of hope over experience :D

TartanPaint

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 18:56:52 PM »
@rachel

Welcome, Rachel. Pretty new here myself. Being a guy I was a bit dubious about joining but they're such a friendly bunch. It doesn't matter what type of sewing you do or want to do; you'll fit in just fine. And if you don't you smuggle toast to me on the naughty step.

:angel:

William
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 21:03:52 PM »
Welcome @rachel, lots of experience and knowledge on here.

Just remember we like photos, there are no stupid questions, we were all beginners once and just so you know, we are very good at encouraging you to acquire anything sewing related, fabric, patterns, machines and habby.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 21:10:42 PM »
Welcome to TSP

I'm also a crocheter. I have vague memories of my gran teaching me when I was young but then took it up again much later in life.

I too learned to crochet from my Grandma when I was a child.  She tried hard to teach me the differences between double and treble etc although at the time I didn't really take it in.  Then when I was about 15 or 16 tehe "in" thing ws to crochet granny squares.  A school friend showed me the basics and suddenly I realised that I knew how to make those squares and a lot more besides!  When my children were babies I found it quicker to crochet a little cardi than to knit one.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 22:44:21 PM »
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 22:52:39 PM »
Hello @rachel welcome from me too and yes you can have wine  :toast: but not the garibaldis (they are all mine

Kayfersmum

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 23:38:11 PM »
Hi @rachel, I was in the same position as you in June and found this friendly site.  I’ve been overwhelmed with the virtual support offered and the forums are a great source of information. I use the search button a lot!  The community here at TSP also don’t appear to mind my ‘dumb’ questions   :facepalm:

Welcome and happy sewing  :sew: :)
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »
 Hi Rachel - welcome to the forum from me too. :) Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the wonderful world of sewing. (I'm also a crocheter ... and knitter, and quilter, and dressmaker, and cross-stitcher ... you get the pattern? -<)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath