The Sewing Place

Singer 27 Godzilla finish

steve_h

Singer 27 Godzilla finish
« on: August 09, 2020, 16:34:45 PM »
Just won a 1912 Singer 27 (based on serial number) with crinkle finish on an auction. Paid $13 for it. Shipping to get it here is $20. It appears to be in pretty good condition, has been converted to electric and is in a "portable" case. It doesn't appear to be rusty anywhere. The shuttle and some bobbins are with it. All covers are on the machine.

Can't wait for it to get here. Will probably be about 2 weeks for shipping. Guess I'll see how much I remember about operating a VS machine. My Mom had a 27 in its treadle cabinet that was her mother's when I was young. I watched her all the time sewing pretty much anything we needed that we either couldn't or she wouldn't get from the store as well as all sorts of patching, alterations. I never got to use it. I was still young enough that I couldn't reach the treadle well enough to reliably pedal it and keep it coordinated to stay going the same direction.

I'm sure I will run into all sorts of questions for you knowledgeable folks as I begin using it.

This pic is from the auction site. I have no idea how long it will be valid.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 16:36:29 PM by steve_h »

BriarRose

Re: Singer 27 Godzilla finish
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 18:01:11 PM »
Godzilla?
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

steve_h

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 21:37:04 PM »
It's a crinkly paint finish resembling godzilla's skin. It's rough and matte. No shiny and waxed.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
The foot pedal may need a little attention:
https://youtu.be/QVE9P9-X0FA

steve_h

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 00:55:30 AM »
The mechanicals and electricals are no big deal. Just judging by what I've seen at thrifts, it seems a lot of machines are sent packing just because the foot pedal or wiring needs a little work. The machine itself is usually great just needs a good cleaning and oiling.

Thanks for the link. I've never been inside one of those type of speed controllers. All of the ones I have taken apart have been the ceramic block with the nichrome "springs" wound around and multiple contacts. It will be interesting to see which type it comes with.

If the speed controller is too bad, I might just try one of those fancy newfangled electronic speed controller pedals. I've read that they give much better control and it's a more stable speed too. They are only around $20 so I won't spend a lot of time on the pedal especially since it and the motor are replacements, not original singer.

It's 7:54 pm here and Fedex still says delivery before end of day today on their website. So, I'm sitting around waiting, hoping I don't have to wait until Monday.