The Sewing Place

Alternative to polystyrene balls

Kayfersmum

Alternative to polystyrene balls
« on: August 09, 2020, 16:52:44 PM »

Can anyone recommend an alternative filling for bean bag cushions?  As a last resort I bought some polystyrene balls that you would put into large bean bags as they were light and cost effective.  They work well, but I’d rather not use them again as they are so not environmentally friendly.   Also I seem to scatter as many over the room as I get into the cushion
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Kad

Re: Alternative to polystyrene balls
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 17:15:30 PM »
You could try the little plastic 'beads' that are used for beanie toys. They are clear and heavier than polystyrene balls used in bean bags but lighter than rice. I got some years ago from 'Fred Aldous' in Manchester, to use in the bottoms of stuffed toys to make them sit properly.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 23:05:38 PM »

Thanks @Kad, will do some searching xx
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Kad

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 16:56:21 PM »
@Kayfersmum
If you search for 'plastic poly pellets' or 'plastic pellets for toy stuffing' you'll find some on A....zon for a reasonable price (depending of course on how much you need)

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 18:02:57 PM »
Wouldn't plastic pellets be as un-eco friendly as polystyrene?
I wonder if you could use something like perlite or vermiculite? Might break down and cost a fortune though!

Kad

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »
The 'plastic poly pellets' are made from recycled plastic and being Polyethylene (PE) can themselves be recycled via our normal refuse collection. Expanded polystyrene is more difficult to recycle - when I had a new kitchen fitted we had loads of the stuff to dispose of and the only place we could find that would take it was 15 miles away.

Amunah

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 23:29:31 PM »
Lavender probably won’t be suitable, but how about cherry stones, wheat grains, or grape pips?  All can be bought in bulk for filling craft projects.