The Sewing Place

My first dress

rachel

My first dress
« on: August 09, 2020, 19:27:08 PM »
My first attempt at sewing my own clothes.  :|

I don't think it's quite symmetrical but then neither am I so maybe noone will notice.

The pattern is this one

I'd practised various things beforehand but found it more tricky on the real thing.

Once the lining and outside had been attached, I couldnt get in to do the understitiching so tried to do it by hand. I haven't made a very good job of it but by then I was panicking because I'd already read the next step which was to turn your dress right side out, by passing the back pieces through the tunnel made at the shoulder seams. and I didn't think that would be possible. I might have another go at the understitching later.

My invisible zip is nearly invisible but it was the third attempt. It seemed easy on easy-to-manage scraps of cloth but was much more difficult on a half-put-together dress which was hard to lay flat and with a risk of mobius like things going on.

My invisible hem is not quite invisible either but hey ho, it's my first attempt.

It was fraying faster than I could go so next time I might try cutting with pinking shears and trust the seam allowance more (I thought it was going to come out too small).

Anyway, here it is. I think i will wear it tomorrow.

SkoutSews

Re: My first dress
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 19:36:51 PM »
Nice dress, nice fabric! Wear it with pride.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 19:40:05 PM »
Under stitching is difficult in some places ....you can only under stitch so far.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 19:45:34 PM »
You decided to make your first dress so you made a lined one with an invisible zip!  :faints:
Way to go you! Looks fab and when you wear it don't be going about pointing out the flaws. Only you know they're there!
Well done!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 19:47:37 PM »
It's lovely. I like sharks - just as long as they're not in the same bit of sea as me. Wear it with pride and don't tell people about any mistakes learning opportunities. What's next?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 20:02:16 PM »
@rachel, I HATE putting zips and do them by hand.  I have zip feet, but I just can't seem to position the needle in the right position or sew around the zip pull.  :(

Kenneth D King has an invisible zip tutorial which you can see here.

rachel

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 20:14:44 PM »
You decided to make your first dress so you made a lined one with an invisible zip!  :faints:

Yes, it was probably a mistake, the lining got in the way...

@rachel, I HATE putting zips and do them by hand.  I have zip feet, but I just can't seem to position the needle in the right position or sew around the zip pull.  :(

Kenneth D King has an invisible zip tutorial which you can see here.

Ooh, that's fab. I've watched a few tutorials but hadn't seen that technique. I will try it next time.
 I definiely preferred the standard zip foot to the invisible one, couldn't get going with that at all.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 20:50:52 PM »
Wow, very impressive for a first one.  Well done, wear it with pride. And if you aren’t symmetrical neither should the dress be. It should fit you not the other way round.  :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 21:11:33 PM »
Well done you

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 21:35:22 PM »
@rachel  I agree with the others; that's pretty impressive for a first dress.

Some fabrics do fray more than other!  Handle with care and stay stitch where necessary is all I can suggest on that.

Re invisible zips - and ordinary zips.  I put any zip in as soon as I can.  If the back is just two pieces it's the first thing that gets done, but if there's a waist seam then obviously that has to be done before the zip.  I do have an invisible zipper foot for the Husqvarna but I don't get on with it; I've worked out my own way of doing them with a regular zipper foot (the narrow one for  :vintage: Singers. 
1, Overlock or otherwise neaten the cut edge of the fabric on both sides.
2, Position one half of the zip where it needs to be (usually about 1/8" from fabric edge).
3, Stitch the zip tape into place but not very close to the teeth.
4, Position the other half of the zip where it needs to be.
5, Stitch the zip tape into place but not very close to the teeth.
6, Adjust the zipper foot (or move the needle) so that it is very close to the teeth and stitch a second time making sure that the zip is rolled outwards.

The first pass of stitching holds the zip in the correct alignment which means that all the attention can go to keeping the teeth rolled back and the stitching very close to them.

Sorting out the join between zip and seam can be a bit tricky.  With a regular zip you close the seam below before inserting the zip but with an invisible you do it afterwards, and there is always a tail because it's impossible to sew all the way.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:19:42 AM »
@UttaRetch  THAT is a fabulous tutorial! I think Im going to put it into the tutorial section of TSP (if its not there already!)

Thank you!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rachel

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »

Re invisible zips - and ordinary zips.  I put any zip in as soon as I can.  If the back is just two pieces it's the first thing that gets done, but if there's a waist seam then obviously that has to be done before the zip. 

Thanks - it did occur to me as I was struggling that it would be better to do the zip first but then I realised I wouldn't be able to 'turn the dress right side out' in the way it was described so I will have to do it all in a different order next time.

I'm going to try another similar dress but a different pattern which actually has a straight back seam. I was so so careful when cutting to try to get the sharks lined up properly on either side of the zip, but after the bottom of the zip with a slight flare/curve, I started to get them misaligned vertically, which I think is where the symmetry was lost.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 07:49:48 AM »
@Iminei: I have mentioned that tute before, so it might be in the tutorials section already.

So Chic

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Dress looks great so award yourself a gold star.  By the way, I find understitching by hand by much easier than by machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
Well done @rachel , first dress, lined and an invisible zip, wow, enjoy wearing it.
Still learning