The Sewing Place

I'm new.........

Lizzielogs

I'm new.........
« on: May 15, 2017, 18:01:24 PM »
Hi
I'm new, and this is what I do (oh, that rhymes!)
I'm retired so just do this for pin money, I find with bags you couldn't possibly charge for the hours they take unless your name is Louis Vuitton!
Hope there are plenty of bag ladies on here for when I get above myself and try something too complicated!

Lantana

Re: I'm new.........
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 20:35:09 PM »
Oh they look very nice and very well made. I think you should try charging more!

I've got various books on bags but have only ever made totes (a handy place to park my trying out techniques for patch work and quilting  :) ).

:vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 21:29:03 PM »
I like those particularly the black and white one.
Life's too short for ironing.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 23:42:33 PM »
Hi there and welcome from me too. I've bought quite a bit of fabric for making bags but haven't got much done yet despite having been retired for 3 years now.  :|   

I'm a terrible prevaricator, as you may gather, but I've just bought a Singer 201K which will be ideal for punching through all those thick layers. She's a hand crank, which I'm hoping my husband will convert to electric motor so the bag making will be easier with both hands to manipulate the sewing.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:07:13 AM »
Hi there and welcome from me too. I've bought quite a bit of fabric for making bags but haven't got much done yet despite having been retired for 3 years now.  :|   

I'm a terrible prevaricator, as you may gather, but I've just bought a Singer 201K which will be ideal for punching through all those thick layers. She's a hand crank, which I'm hoping my husband will convert to electric motor so the bag making will be easier with both hands to manipulate the sewing.

Golly, hand crank conversion I'm impressed!! I am considering a Singer heavyweight but to be fair I have made several large bags with my pretty standard Janome and she copes well as long as you take it steady over the thick layers. This bag was really large and had lots of pockets/ linings and bits to sew over but me and the old gal managed!

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:08:15 AM »
Looks like nice finishing, Lizzielogs. The guys in the vintage machine section seem to think the power conversion of a 201K is pretty straightforward but I'll leave all that up to my husband.  ;)

I have a new Pfaff mechanical that would manage most bags I'm sure and a lovely old Bernina 1020 that I bought partially for bag-making but I've become so fond of her that I don't want to risk straining her old motor with bags as I actually use her quite a big for more fancy sewing. An electric vintage can take the strain as far as the straight stitching is concerned but I can't promise I won't start itching for an early all metal vintage zigzagger sometime soon.  :o
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
Your bags are lovely, Lizzielogs.   :flower:

I have a hankering to make a Gladstone bag, but all the necessary bits and pieces will make it quite an expensive project so I don't want to order them until I'm sure that I'm about to do it rather than add it to the future projects mountain.

I've only found one place that makes a pattern - bag-clasps.co.uk - and they do sell the frame, clasp etc - but I like to have a bit of choice!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
Your bags are lovely, Lizzielogs.   :flower:

I have a hankering to make a Gladstone bag, but all the necessary bits and pieces will make it quite an expensive project so I don't want to order them until I'm sure that I'm about to do it rather than add it to the future projects mountain.

I've only found one place that makes a pattern - bag-clasps.co.uk - and they do sell the frame, clasp etc - but I like to have a bit of choice!

I do find the hardware difficult to find if I ever go to a charity shop or jumble sale I often buy a cheap bag and strip it out for the parts!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 20:04:41 PM »
Have you looked at these suppliers of bag hardware?

Carole's Crafts
Bag Clasps Ltd
Bobbin Girl

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
Welcome from me. I'm in awe as I'd love to make bags. However, along with soft toys it'll remain a "love to" until I have more time and a better grasp ( if ever ) of sewing
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lizzielogs

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 19:57:19 PM »
Have you looked at these suppliers of bag hardware?

Carole's Crafts
Bag Clasps Ltd
Bobbin Girl

Thank you, had only heard of one of them.

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 23:08:14 PM »
Hi and welcome Lizzielogs, what beautiful bags you make.  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Snowgoose

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 23:28:33 PM »
Oh, I love your pretty pink drawstring bag  :) Sewing bags is something I'd love to try one day. Please post more pictures of your makes, it's so nice to see other people's makes  :)

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 01:39:04 AM »
Just came across a new place to me called Cool Crafting with shops in Skipton and Kirby Lonsdale. They have some nice purse frames and a few clip locks.