Still learning

WildAtlanticWay

Re: How I Made a Waistcoat Larger
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »
Fabulous. Definitely some sewing wizardry going on there.  <3

KayK

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 13:49:19 PM »
Crumbs!  You've made the seemingly impossible possible!  That's one skill set you have there - there are many of us that wouldn't have a clue where to even start!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 14:12:49 PM »
Blimey, Sandra, you have superb sewing skills. Alterations like that require particular expertise. I hope you are properly appreciated!

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 17:31:43 PM »
Only just seen this - fantastic work @Sandra . <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 13:13:02 PM »
I hope you are properly appreciated!

Not especially, no.
I've found out this morning, how much the customer has been charged for this job. £15 each waistcoat.  >< They (the agent) decided what to charge without any input from me and without me seeing or advising what options there were.

As you know, I work through a middle-man. The Dry Cleaner has to do all the running around between the agent and myself, so obviously he wants something for his part in it all. Fair enough.
Sometimes though, it's more than I get. If I do a little job and charge £5 he might charge £12.
The agent knows this, so they must have assumed I'd charge about £6 - £7 for the work on these waistcoats.

I've charged £15 each for what I've done and I'm OK with that.
If I'd known what the customer was paying, I'd have bunged a couple of odd strips of fabric in the sides. I probably should have done. Even doing that, I still have to add pieces in the lining too...£6 - £7 isn't a lot is it?
But I try to do as good a job as I can.

Sandra.
xxx

sewingj

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 13:45:20 PM »
@Sandra  living where you do probably doesn't help. Someone with your skills in London would be able to charge a fortune. You should be rewarded for knowing how to do something not just the hours you spend doing it

Sandra

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 13:59:07 PM »
@sewingj  My brother said something similar.

He lived in France and used to do jobs for people. He's a very handy, woodwork-y type. Skirting, doors, windows. That sort of stuff.
He'd say how much for them to pay and they'd be astounded by how cheap his prices were, and he said it was because of where we live.
Almost feel embarrassed to charge too much.

Sandra.
xxx

sewingj

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 14:10:27 PM »
@Sandra ideally you should think of it the way an artist does.  It might only take them a few hours to paint a beautiful painting but it is generally years of training and practice that enables them to do it, plus the fact that very few other people can do it so well.  That`s why they are able to charge  thousands of pounds for their work.  Unfortunately you can`t do that if you live in an area where your customers aren`t able to pay the proper rate.  But please don`t let anyone take advantage of your good nature.  I don`t think you realise how talented you are

SkoutSews

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 14:32:16 PM »
Don't feel embarrassed, you're worth every penny!  They got a bargain with those waistcoats.

Think of it in terms of hourly rates - tradesmen round here charge £20-25 per hour - and you have materials and electricity to factor in.

Lilian

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 14:41:26 PM »
@Sandra Where I live there is a sewing lady in the local town, she has a shop front and also has an ironing lady.  My neighbour has been having her leggings shortened and this sewing lady charges £16 for the job.  Think of the comparison.  :facepalm: that kind of superb work you do is worth so much more than that!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 14:43:54 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 17:05:59 PM »
When my students start bitching about how much a lab manual costs I impolitely explain that they're not just paying for the paper!  ><
People have no idea what experience and skill are worth. Time they learnt!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 17:54:46 PM »
 :o £16 to shorten leggings! Not even my dry cleaner charges that much with his 'little extra' added on.

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 17:56:01 PM »
She gets away with it too!

Sorry, my mistake @Sandra - that was for 2 pairs. Still a lot though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 18:09:20 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)