The Sewing Place

How I Made a Waistcoat Larger

Sewingsue

Re: How I Made a Waistcoat Larger
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 21:16:32 PM »
Many decades ago I was responsible for the work photocopiers and got to know the engineers who came to service and repair them.
One time something had jammed and he fetched it a good thump. This man and I always got on well so I said "you get paid to hit copiers?"
Him: "No, I get paid to know where to hit copiers"
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 21:26:03 PM »
A friend of mine is a CPO:- Close protection officer (body guard). He gets paid a disgusting amount of money, not for what he does (sits about mostly) but for what he might have to do! ie take a bullet!  :S He's welcome to it.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

jintie

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 05:58:36 AM »
@Sandra can you ask the dry cleaner to contact you in future for a quote for anything out of the ordinary, eg shortenig or new zips.
Maybe the other folk here could do some local research and tell us what alterations dry cleaners are likely to offer. My guess is that that waistcoat job would not be taken on due to the time involved.
Rottweiler with scissors

Sandra

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
The Dry Cleaner's pretty good, it's this particular agent who can't say no.
They're a good old fashioned, traditional, friendly, local independent shop and they can't bring themselves to turn someone away. So they'll take anything on to try to help.  >< But they don't always know or understand what work's involved and I can't always advise them unless the item's in front of me.
They have great faith in me and I've often had conversations which have ended with...'but we know you'll think of something. Your work's always lovely'.
Which is nice.  :)

But...

Sometimes, you have to be honest to the customer and explain just how much work's involved. Unfortunately, some jobs are simply not worth the cost. They can buy a new one or at least put the alteration cost towards a new one.
Especially nowadays with RTW being so cheap.  :S
These waistcoats were ordered from China and the sizes came up much smaller than expected.

I used to find that the customer would appreciate your honesty and once you'd properly explained what you'd need to do, they'd accept.

Sandra.
xxx

justpottering

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
That’s a great job well done the customer should be very happy with that Sandra

I have done many alterations and repairs for self family friends and ‘customers’ it’s one of my favourite things to do especially a good challenge but most all don’t have a clue what’s involved and as for getting paid what it’s worth that would be a rare thing indeed!

The nice comments are indicative of being very clever and creative which is great but the downside is such talent is also considered just something you can do and not recognised as a gift and certainly not paid accordingly

But it’s a great thing to do, the satisfaction when it works is wonderful
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

jintie

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
@Sandra, the agent is taking a cut from your work, after a five minute chat with the customer, and then tries to butter you up to do it for peanuts.
A suggestion is to allow the agent to quote only  for new zips, shortening skirts, dresses and trousers (pricing agreed in advance).
 Anything else, they bring direct to you for a quote ( - eg-  this will take several hours and cost this, including materials such as zips. Or- just too busy at present for such a long job)
A tailor in town posted alteration prices in the window to let folk see how much work costs.
He is still in business, and Primark is next door if they want to buy new (!) instead of fixing decent clothes.

Rottweiler with scissors

Sandra

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2020, 14:29:10 PM »
I didn't know until quite recently, but the agent gets very little...possibly 10%...the biggest winner is the Dry Cleaner.  :S

Sandra.
xxx

annieeg

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
@Sandra your waistcoat alteration is really impressive, and I hope your skill level isn't taken for granted (or exploited).  Out of curiosity, how long did the work take you?

Sandra

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 10:55:38 AM »
How long?  :[

Erm...
I can't remember.  0_0
It didn't take hours and hours. Sorry I can't be more specific @annieeg I just get on with it and move onto the next item without taking too much notice of the time spent.

Sandra.
xxx