The Sewing Place

How I Made a Waistcoat Larger

Sandra

How I Made a Waistcoat Larger
« on: August 10, 2020, 17:38:02 PM »
For @Iminei  @Efemera and anyone else who's interested.  :)
I was asked to make two waistcoats larger by 5 inches  :S

Now, there's not many options to do this. I don't have a magic wand and I'm not going to go out and buy the customer the correct size, so when I'm asked to do this I usually put some strips of near-enough colour, lining fabric in the sides to widen them. Gaining five inches is rather a lot though. It will obviously make the armholes bigger too.

I assumed they would be regular style waistcoats with fabric fronts and lining backs. No. These have fabric front and back...and they're double-breasted.  ;) You can guess how I gained some of the extra now can't you?

There's very little chance of finding some fabric to match...So, what I did was, I took the belt strap thingies off the back and used those. They were a little short so I pinched one of the pocket bags too to add on.
I used some nice quality lining fabric to replace the belts and I replaced the pocket with some near-enough colour fabric too.

I don't have any 'before' pictures. I just quickly snapped these this morning before they're taken away.

I got just about two inches in each side seam from the belts, so moved the front buttons over accordingly to gain the missing inch or so.

The instructions on the ticket tells me to put black strips in the sides if I can't find some fabric to match.  :o  :S

Sandra.
xxx

Ellabella

Re: How I Made a Waistcoat Larger
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 17:39:54 PM »
@Sandra you are a marvel. 0_0

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 17:41:02 PM »
That looks fab. Very creative, using the belt. I hope you charged a fair bit for this.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 17:50:07 PM »
Genius!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 17:58:16 PM »
I hope your dry cleaner and the customers know what a gem they have in you!   :*
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 18:04:12 PM »
It's amazing that you managed to add 5 inches without adding a contrasting fabric.  I hope you charged approriately.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 18:04:16 PM »
You're like a magician!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 18:05:12 PM »

The instructions on the ticket tells me to put black strips in the sides if I can't find some fabric to match.  :o  :S

><

Real stitch wizardry there, @ Sandra, with no magic wand in sight. Bravo.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 18:05:38 PM »
Very creative...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 18:09:05 PM »
Nice job @Sandra.  You did a great job matching the pattern too.   :loveit:
I've been given waistcoats that have split the lining because they were too small for the wearer and had to replace the  whole lining back. They had to have extra under the arms too  but back to front is probably where they needed the extra! Great feeling when you can send back an item that looks as good as that.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 18:50:38 PM »
Bravo, @Sandra  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 19:07:19 PM »
Thanks everyone...it is quite satisfying when something looks better than expected when I've done something like this.
I'm not expecting the customer to notice the different colour belts. They'll just be amazed I found such a good match.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 19:15:47 PM »
Wow! @Sandra they look lovely. Ingenius!  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 19:34:17 PM »
Amazing. You are a star!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 20:14:23 PM »
D'OH! When I first read your post in the Today thread, I thought you said LONGER and was wondering how the h*** you could possibly do that ...

Larger .. Yup Definitely Doable and you win Iminei's Goldest Star for
A) actually being bothered and
B) not telling the punter to buy new and
C) for doing a FAB  U Lous job!!!

Bravo Darling !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again