The Sewing Place

Smart Fitting solutions by Kenneth D King

sewmuchmore

Smart Fitting solutions by Kenneth D King
« on: August 10, 2020, 18:32:11 PM »
Another book that deals with fitting issues:
The pros:
Well laid out with lots of photos and he uses 6 real life women (who all work at Threads) who are different sizes and have different fitting issues. He takes you step by step what the issues are and how to address them by "reading the wrinkles" and making appropriate alterations.
If you are in the camp that traces your pattern and makes a toile then you will like this, but if you prefer to just get on with things then forget it.
The Cons:
Like all good pattern alteration books (and there are a lot of them) this would be ideal if you are in the business of making for other people. If you are making for yourself and have no like minded person to assist then it is nigh on impossible to carry out the alterations on your toile.
Of the 6 garment he demonstrates on one is a shirt, one a tunic and 4 dresses. 4 of the garments have princess seams so not much variations. Every garment seems to need multiple alteration, some of which, i feel, could have been addressed by comparing you measurement to the pattern i.e. length of sleeve, neck to waist.
Strangely one of the dresses is a Palmer and Pletch pattern from Vogue, which i own, and the instructions in the pattern envelope are pretty good at tackling alterations albeit the P&P way.

Overall a good read and picked up some useful tips but as i make for myself would find it hard to do the alterations, if i needed that many.
What i would like to see is a book written for the solo sewer on how to tackle the alterations instead of looking at photos of some one else doing the alterations for you.
Watch this space i may well sell this book.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

ClareInStitches

Re: Smart Fitting solutions by Kenneth D King
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 17:49:11 PM »
Many thanks for the revue, sewmuchmore. I was hunting for just this yesterday and you have saved me making an expensive mistake.  :D