The Sewing Place

Readymade Piping

hernibs

Readymade Piping
« on: August 10, 2020, 22:50:39 PM »
Can I enquire if any of you have a good recommendation for this.  The dress which I feel is a tad short has already got a false hem....can't even remember how that happened....but I do have enough fabric for another false hem which I will have to piece together....thinking of taking off the original false hem which is the correct length....then adding a little piping and adding the original false hem and then the pieced false hem....gosh that all reads daft - or does anyone else have any other ideas?  The fabric is very jazzy and colourful...a lot of brights offset with a lot of greens.
Is what I am thinking of a good idea or not?  Thanks.

wrenkins

Re: Readymade Piping
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 23:08:03 PM »
@BrendaP bought ready made piping recently but it was for her outdoor chairs so I'm not sure what it is made of. I don't know if it would be suitable for what you want.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 23:11:05 PM »
@hernibs  Adding piping will only add about 1/4 inch to the length but you might be able to eke out a teeny bit more by skimping on the seam allowance.  To get any more length you would need to do something like they did with Princess Beatrice's wedding dress.  Maybe put narrow piping where the join comes.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I used ready made piping for the first time in with my sun-lounger covers and was pleased with it.  Size medium plus from Frumble
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 23:21:26 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 23:13:17 PM »
@BrendaP bought ready made piping recently but it was for her outdoor chairs so I'm not sure what it is made of. I don't know if it would be suitable for what you want.
Poly cotton with polyester filling.  Nowhere near as stiff as the striped fabric!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 23:25:24 PM »
Thanks @BrendaP
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

hernibs

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »
Thanks both of you...@BrendaP......the piping is only to give a decorative 'join' to the hem of the dress allowing me to add the false hem as if it was meant to be etc.....

hernibs

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
Should also say that I can put it around the new lowered neckline too....

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »
I lengthened a dress I made for one of my goddaughters by stitching a piece of ribbon into the join.  I can't find a photo, but I just sandwiched it in the middle of the seam and then pressed the seam upwards so that the ribbon went downwards on the outside.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

hernibs

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
I had wondered could I do that as I have lots of satin ribbon....do you think it would be ok on an adult dress?  Had actually looked through my reels and moved on to the thought of piping to get a better contrast.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
I would certainly do it for myself, but I'm no fashion icon...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

hernibs

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 11:22:06 AM »
Neither am I at 5' and 13 stone!!!  I'll do a trial on a wee bit and see how it looks...thanks.

Ann

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »
I make my own piping and have made it from cotton and polyester satin. I cut all my piping on the bias so it is more flexible to use. I also use a piping foot and have a piping ruler to cut the excess fabric off so it looks like ready made piping when I'm done.

@hernibs, what you want to do is workable. The bit of piping will be a nice contrast between the two pieces of fabric. Take your time doing the piping so you can sew very close to it. I have based it in place so it won't slip and adjusted the needle on my machine to stitch closely. I will still baste the piping in place if necessary but sew it on with the piping foot. Still have to adjust my needle to stitch close to the piping. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »
How curved is the hem?  Ann's point is very relevant, ribbon won't curve, piping made with bias tape (which the ready made stuff is) will curve.

hernibs

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Thanks again @Ann and @BrendaP  - yes, Ann you have got my drift...but....I have no contrasting fabric to make bias strips, that wouldn't be a problem to me but don't want to choose some fabric on line at a cost and find out it wasn't quite right etc.  I doubt if our local fabric shop would have something suitable...only school fabrics and bridal there but worth a look in....it's a very small shop and I hope they have a one way traffic system in it.
Yes, Brenda - satin ribbon, non bias although the hem is not curved as such I wondered how it would sit....hence the wee trial which I haven't done yet. (Making a mask for my granddaughter as her father is here working with his Dad...and would like to send it home with him - haven't made this 'origami' one before so it's being done alongside watching how on YouTube!)
Thank you both for your input....it could well be that this dress may not be ready before the weather breaks but however need to finish it for completeness sake.