The Sewing Place

Newbie from South Wales

JoozzyJoo

Newbie from South Wales
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »
Hi all, hope you're all good.  I'm saying hello from sunny South Wales!  Thanks for letting me join the group.

I don't have that much experience of sewing, only what I can remember from school.  Since then I've always had the thought of making clothes but never got around to it due to a lack of confidence.  I've had a go at lots of crafts in the past but get to a point and give up - hubby's fav joke is my one armed jumper I knitted a few years ago, I just had one sleeve to go, realised that I would have to wear it, and gave up, because, of course, it would look awful on me and people would be able to comment!  I've also made jewellery, the same thing would happen.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone on this group, and look forward to learning lots and seeing your lovely makes xx

UttaRetch

Re: Newbie from South Wales
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:26:04 AM »
Hello from a fellow dabbler.  I too tried jewellery making, but never got beyond stretchy bracelets and earrings.  I now have lots of beads and findings with no interest of making anything.

I have always liked dressmaking and even the much derided school needlework classes didn't ruin the experience for me.  Over the years, I have made lots of things, but have never been entirely happy with them to the point that I gave up completely.  Now I have a dedicated sewing space and hope this will revive my interest.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »
Hello there...

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
Croeso @JoozzyJoo its nice to see someone else from the Principality, we're quite a rare breed here.  There are plenty of us on here willing to help, advise and tempt you  ;)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »
Hello from me too. I'm only found on The Dark side and in the cafe but good luck
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »
Welcome @JoozzyJoo to TSP.

Every different craft you have tried has to add to your store of knowledge and experience and many of those skills are transferrable.  Looking forward to seeing what you sew.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
Welcome @JoozzyJoo  :flower: :drink:

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
Hello and welcome!

TartanPaint

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
@JoozzyJoo

They let me out from under the stairs long enough to say hello and give you a manly wave from Scotland (where, crazily enough it's actually sunny).

I'm recently getting back into sewing myself. Mainly furnishy things but maybe looking to get taught off a local lady how to make some clothes that will sell.

Welcome, enjoy yourself.

:)
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
 Hello and welcome.
Still learning

hernibs

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum...best wishes for all your future sewing endeavours.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
Hello from another of us in Wales.   :)

There's lots of expertise here, including on how to start out, and don't forget that there are never, ever any silly questions.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 10:58:04 AM »
Hi - welcome from me too. :) Looking forward to seeing what you decide to make.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
Come in, sit down.  :cake: :drink:
Don't listen to @TartanPaint. We don't let him out from under the stairs. He escapes!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

TartanPaint

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
Come in, sit down.  :cake: :drink:
Don't listen to @TartanPaint. We don't let him out from under the stairs. He escapes!

@wrenkins

Only to be lured back by the talk of overlockers and to ask what sateen is because I have a funky rocking stool to re-upholster.

0_0
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."