The Sewing Place

Greetings from Oxfordshire

pjaj

Greetings from Oxfordshire
« on: August 11, 2020, 15:15:40 PM »
Hi everyone.
I've just joined The Sewing Place.
I'm a retired software engineer living in rural Oxfordshire.
I've been sewing on and off for over 40 years.
First with a basic machine back in the 70s, then I inherited my late mother's Elna SU (very versatile, but all mechanical, not a transistor in sight). Getting the Elna serviced and finding spare parts became increasingly difficult. In the only local shop that could do it the technician was about to retire, so I've now got a singer Quantum Stylist 9960 and a Janome 9300DX overlocker.
I don't sew that much, but over the years I've made a couple of dresses for my wife, numerous curtains and matching cushions from the offcuts. I've made quite a few items for our granddaughter including a "Frozen" dress, and more recently a batch of face masks for the whole family.
One of our daughters has a penchant for "vintage" clothing - read old and fragile, so I'm forever repairing / patching them. Both daughters will insist on buying an American brand which will remain anonymous, but they are fairly expensive items badly made from poor quality material. Once again dad to the rescue, that darn function is a godsend.
Last year I made myself a couple of shirts to the Simplicity 1544BB pattern, but more of that on the pattern forum.
Sent from my abacus

Ellabella

Re: Greetings from Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 15:19:43 PM »
Welcome @pjaj , lots of knowledge on here.

Do you like Garibaldis?

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 15:24:47 PM »
Hello @pjaj  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 15:29:30 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 15:31:45 PM »
Hello there....

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 15:47:10 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 16:04:17 PM »
Welcome to TSP. Glad you could join us.

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 16:54:31 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.  I live in the neighbouring county up in the Chiltern Hills.  I too have an Elna SU, using it at the moment, a lovely machine only problem is the foot control is getting rather hot, but put that down to using a closely packed up stitch built in No 3, to create tiny scallops, and I have yards and yards to stitch.  My machine was bought new back in 1975 and was my one and only machine until I inherited my mother's Bernina 830 Record, so that has become my day to day machine as it was not used that much - same age and bought the same year as my Elna.  I also have another and newer Bernina Artista 200 and two Bernina overlockers - one can convert to coverstitch as well.

You will find lots to interest you on this forum and plenty of male members.  Look forward to seeing and hearing what you are making.  Now go and explore and enjoy TSP - we are a friendly lot.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 17:09:39 PM »
Hi there @pjaj - a warm welcome from me too. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 17:26:47 PM »
Welcome - sounds to me that you are an experienced sewer.

pjaj

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 17:35:19 PM »
Welcome - sounds to me that you are an experienced sewer.

Experienced maybe, good / expert definitely not!
Sent from my abacus

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 19:55:31 PM »
Welcome from me too @pjaj, it's so nice to see more men joining us  :toast:.

fajita

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 21:04:54 PM »
Welcome @pjaj  :flower: :drink:

pjaj

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 13:47:20 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.  I live in the neighbouring county up in the Chiltern Hills.  I too have an Elna SU, using it at the moment, a lovely machine only problem is the foot control is getting rather hot, but put that down to using a closely packed up stitch built in No 3, to create tiny scallops, and I have yards and yards to stitch.  My machine was bought new back in 1975 and was my one and only machine until I inherited my mother's Bernina 830 Record, so that has become my day to day machine as it was not used that much - same age and bought the same year as my Elna.  I also have another and newer Bernina Artista 200 and two Bernina overlockers - one can convert to coverstitch as well.

You will find lots to interest you on this forum and plenty of male members.  Look forward to seeing and hearing what you are making.  Now go and explore and enjoy TSP - we are a friendly lot.

@Elnnina
Hi,
Yes, my mother bought her SU about the time she retired in 1975, she used it to make clothes for our children. As I said, recently I found it increasingly difficult to get the SU serviced what with the technician at my nearest service shop retiring, so when I bought my Singer and sold the SU :(.  That was about 4-5 years ago.
It was a lovely machine, when it worked, and ran like a Swiss watch.
Sent from my abacus

Sewot

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 05:10:33 AM »
Greetings!
I have homed in on Oxford.
Should have concentrated on the "sewing" but Oxford is in my heart.
I have many happy memories of dear Oxford as I knew it as a teen vividly.( and also later in life)
:[ Oxford.
Years later my superb son passed through Oxford with an honors degree in physics.
I am so proud of him.
He is so clever.
I digress to emotional again.
Phahhhhh.
Pete.