The Sewing Place

Ideas on how this is made?

Marniesews

Ideas on how this is made?
« on: August 11, 2020, 18:05:17 PM »
I do like the look of this and although I immediately thought satin bias binding on a length of crin I'm not sure how the parallel lines are applied, I'd assumed flat onto 15cm crin but all the rows have the identical puffiness as that of the bottom bound edge.

I'm not familiar enough with twitter to find out the origin to reference it properly. If someone can tell me how to get back to the original I'd be grateful for that too.

[Edit] You can see on the back edge near the bottom one section lifting up so it does look to be folded binding sewn flat on the top so do you think it's had a strip of fabric added inside the fold to give it a bit more puff than it would have if just folded flat onto itself?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 18:13:43 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

Re: Ideas on how this is made?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 23:01:40 PM »
Possibly something like this with lightly stuffed tubes of satin fabric stitched onto it.  The tubes might be just rouleau strips with the seam allowances being enough to provide the padding.     I wouldn't fancy turning that much rouleau though!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 00:36:31 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 00:10:23 AM »
I noticed the thin lines suggesting it could be pleated crin but hadn't spotted that Parkin Fabrics had it in 15cm widths. Only 30m rolls unfortunately so probably not practical for a one-off experiment. I'll keep an eye open for their sales which don't seem to be as frequent as they were a year or two ago.

Your idea of using a narrow tubing has merits, the seam allowances give it a bit of body. I've made quite a bit even narrower than this with meryl for several strappy dance dresses using my overlocker so in the meantime I might have a play with that.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
Looks to me like the satin is applied over a stiff tulle - blowing up the picture you can see the little regular polygon holes, rather than the rhombus's your get on woven crin. Looking closely at the picture, I would say that the lower edge is bound and the others are applied on top - you can see a difference where the underside is visible. I can't quite work out exactly how the satin is applied (whether it is rouleau loops or just folded, and whether it is stuffed with anything), but I would suggest that bias binding could be folded over cord to give more body at stitched together and to the tulle at the non-folded edge to give the same effect.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
I thought about rouleau loops and folded bias binding too.  However, it looks like a hell of a lot of work.