The Sewing Place

DIY thread distributor

Sewot

DIY thread distributor
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »
I hope this is the right thread for this.
A table mounted thread distribution unit.
A piece of heavy Ironbark wood ( bit of a tree) drilled to accept the reel pin and piece of wire.
Simple as can be.
I made a deluxe version for my Singer 201 but it does not work so well as this.
Thanks @Kwaaked  for the idea of using cups to hold the reel and pieces of wire.
You are right!!!!
It works!
Pete

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: DIY thread distributor
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
I bought a thread stand like that, but never use it  :)

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
I have one ..I use mine all the time as I use mainly cones of thread.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
I'm a mug and safety pin girl. Easier to tidy away.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »
I'm a mug and safety pin girl. Easier to tidy away.  :)
@wrenkins what is this "tidy away" of which you speak?  :S

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
@wrenkins what is this "tidy away" of which you speak?  :S
I was having a chuckle as I said it but what I really meant was the mug doesn't look out of place on the kitchen table!  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewot

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
Love it!
How do you attach the safety pin to a mug?
I am a bit thick most times.
Can you send a pic please as I love " simple".
Bodgeitandscarper is the best avatar,? Thingey?
What ever its called..
I love it!!!
It's ME!!!!!!
Hats off to you.
Now I will scarper back to my box.
Pete

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
The safety pin is placed over the spool spindle on my machine and the thread runs up from the cone in the mug and goes through the circle at the end of it.  :)

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
@wrenkins where does the safety pin go?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
The thread goes through the round end.  :)

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
@wrenkins thanks. That would stop the thread rubbing the machine casing.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sewot

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 11:50:35 AM »
Okay.
Please bear with me as Nothing is obvious to me and the question as to " where does the safety pin go" is a good un.
Ie..how is it attached?
I am by nature an improvements Geek so  please abide with me.
I take it the purpose of the mug is to stop the cone from falling over?
That is the first question.
I personally use cotton reels that are smaller than cones and therefore will / might/ probably topple over and cause a thread lock?
So I am thinking ( in my case), is "mug" the solution for the small time occasional sewist?
Re safety pin.
I can assume that a safety pin is used and attached to the spool pin because it has an eye ..
I am just thinking that this " eye" that is needed to pass the thread through could be done more neatly.
Ie.... a chrome plated curtain eye.
A small hole can be drilled into the plastic Spool pin and such an eye could be screwed into the pilot hole therefore giving a neater job?
Have not tried it yet but when the shops are open I will get a curtain eye and try it out.
I am quite sure it cannot fail but there again...I don't know the answer until I have proved it.
I will report later on my findings.
Pete

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
The safety pin just slides down onto the spool pin. The orange bit is the thread and the black circle is your spool pin. As you can see my craft is better than my art.

If you're not using cones, use your machine's spool pin. That's what it's for.

Sewot

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
The safety pin just slides down onto the spool pin. The orange bit is the thread and the black circle is your spool pin. As you can see my craft is better than my art.

If you're not using cones, use your machine's spool pin. That's what it's for.
Thank you for the explanation.
I do not really like using my spool pin any more as it makes quite a racket and I have read up about thread distribution ie how cross wound thread should leave its spool/ reel.
I found some tiny eyes I had floating about my workshop so took five minutes attaching it.
It works!!!!!
" Pearl" my ( new) Singer 237 is acting as model for the " eye" mod.
I need now to make a nice wooden base for her.
I have some nice figured Campfor wood which will do the trick nicely.
I did not like the plastic case.
Cheap, horrid and acted as a sound box to amplify the machine noise.
I love quiet machines.
This one is!.
Hasnt uttered a word yet!!
She just sings like Singers do.

Pete

Kwaaked

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »
@wrenkins using the pin isn't always feasible with some of the antique machines.  If I use a modern spool on most of my machines in use, the thread wraps around the pin regardless of how slow I actually sew.  I either have to rewind smaller spools or figure out another way.

I use this for my 201, and have the FW versions on those: https://singer-featherweight.com/products/thread-stand-old-iron-for-singer-15-66-201-and-many-singer-clones

At the studio, I have wall mounted stands...sort of a weird cross of industrial thread stands and thread racks since I can use them on my industrial treadle/treadles and domestic machines in use there without having to have different items for each...they all work. 

My treadle at home uses a mug system because it's in my living room and not always set up.  Kids, cats and a DH who think it's cool forces me to close it up.  Well, it's not really a mug...it's in an antique string minder that comes out of the top with a spool pin inside...but why I use that is a different topic.

Now, I DO use cone thread because I am cheap for the most part, but there is times I have modern spools.  Like now at home where I have been making masks.  The Coates and Clark I just bought for it won't work on the treadle because it's cross wound, so I don't use the pin at all. 

As to why the mug @Sewot part of it is for stabilization, part is to keep the thread from turning into a mess and bouncing all over the place and part is to keep the thread path where you want it.  I know myself, I sew too damn fast to just put it on the table behind.  And yes, my treadle sews as fast as a modern one.  I can get it to 2000 SPM and sew somewhere in the 750-1000 SPM range usually (unless I am sewing buttonholes, then it's a 1-2 count with the ticking of the attachment and the speed is dramatically lower).

edit: Pete, you did the same thing a mug/safety pin does with your set up.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:50:35 PM by Kwaaked »