The Sewing Place

Anti " chase yer foot pedal " gizmo

Sewot

Anti " chase yer foot pedal " gizmo
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
I got really miffed with chasing my foot pedal around so made this.
Its just a hunk of hardwood that resembles a foot with anti skid rubber matting on the top and bottom.
Gift OH or DH  or if that doesnt apply DIY!!!
With a jigsaw and file to get the edges right.
Very simple but a nerve calmer.
Or just use a plank of unshaped wood!!!
Pete

Gernella

Re: Anti " chase yer foot pedal " gizmo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
I have this problem although my foot is more a broad slab on my Pfaff.  I've solved it by sticking a basket of not used much patterns behind it.  It takes a lot to shift it but eventually I have  to swear and drag the basket back into position.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
When I depress my big Pfaff foot pedal it sometimes sneaks forward and goes under the edge of the Horn cabinet.  When I take my foot off the machine just keeps going!  I have got it on a bit on anti slip stuff but it's not sufficiently grippy.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »
That looks a very posh bit of kit @Sewot . Put strings on and use it as a musical instrument when not sewing  ;)  I have a rectangle of grippy stuff under mine, which works well on carpet.

My only problem is when I have the Bernina out my dog thinks it's fun to roll on the foot controller and listen to the loud d-d-d-d-d noise followed by me shouting 'getoffit'. Being an old model it doesn't have an on/off switch on the machine. He tried rolling on the Pfaff pedal the other day and appeared mighty disappointed!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
@Ploshkin I had a pair of boots with a welt that did that on the edge of my brake pedal occasionally when I tried to take my foot off the accelerator. Exciting times!  :o
@Flobear any attention is good attention!  :woof:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
@Ploshkin I had a pair of boots with a welt that did that on the edge of my brake pedal occasionally when I tried to take my foot off the accelerator.
Oh yes @wrenkins long boots that caught on the underside of VW camper seat - I rolled backwards into a few hedges and fences  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
@Ploshkin mine also creeps - until it jams against the box holding the embroidery unit. Only a problem once, when it suddenly accelerated after I took my foot off. On a tricky seam which then had to be unpicked.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sewot

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
There you go then girls.
You can see my point.
Get a plank of wood and anti slip matting.
It will bring a big sigh of relief!!!
Pete

Mr Twingo

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 20:45:03 PM »
I've done exactly what @Sewot has done. I bought a roll of it from Wilko a couple of years ago. It's superb stuff, and you'll find it dotted all around our house to stop things slipping and sliding.

Incredibly useful stuff.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »
Great job!  I did something similar, if simpler. Because my sewing table is high & calls for a drafting chair, I needed to raise the pedal up. So I took some shelf-liner and glued some to the top & bottom surfaces of a wooden cigar box. The pedal just sits on the box.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 16:57:50 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 14:54:17 PM »
Think I missed this first time around but I'd got to a similar solution earlier this year too. Mine's less made than arranged from a bit of the non-slip stuff and a box of chunky stone coasters.

The box of coasters raises my heel and greatly improves my speed control which is particularly useful for this foot pedal as it's used by both my overlocker and coverstitcher.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 17:04:29 PM »
Just spotted this thread, i was going to start another with this link if you want to sew one.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 19:02:54 PM »
I just sit a basketful of old patterns behind it and just give it a yank forward every now and again.  I'm another with a big Pfaff foot pedal slab.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 19:04:44 PM »
Just spotted this thread, i was going to start another with this link if you want to sew one.

Sew one, I can't even sew a mask fit to show somebody the finer details.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 19:14:05 PM »
@Sewot where are you?  Not seen you on lately. Hope you are well. 
Willing but not always able :)