The Sewing Place

Beyond the Festival of Quilts

Sandra

Beyond the Festival of Quilts
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Did anybody else check out the quilt entries virtually on the FoQ website?
Sorry, I don't know how to do clicky linky thingies for you.  :[

Not as enjoyable as seeing them in real life (obviously) but still good to see them. Had a pretty good look through them, but a bit of a chore to keep clicking on the images.

Some were photographed more professionally than others. Some were simply pegged from the washing line or draped across a bed.
Lots of beautiful ones, but one which has stuck in my mind was called 'Wave'...(I think)...paused on that image for ages.  :loveit: I'd have loved to have seen that close-up.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

Re: Beyond the Festival of Quilts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »
Linky ?????

I too felt it really lacked something and obviously was not a level playing field from the competition aspect as you succinctly pointed out ... Quilts are B*** hard to photograph well
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
The Contemporary Quilt winner  is a current day version of the Silk Cigar Ribbon quilt c.1875 in the American Museum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:04:58 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »
 :) Thanks, Acorn for the clicky linky thingies.

Sandra.
xxx

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 18:33:18 PM »
Wow, there is some stunning work there  :o
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
Loved the Original!

Didnt much like the winning quilt, I think it lacked something but I dont think I would have the patience to stitch such thin strips of fabrics so maybe she won the Perseverance Prize.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »
Thank you @Sandra , some lovely quilts but as usual I didn't agree with the winners. It's all so subjective.
I did miss my usual visit to the NEC and the 'catch up', see you all next year I hope.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »
There's a lot to be said for getting your marketing right. Ten minutes ago I discovered that the winner of the modern quilt comp and second place in trad at FOQ 2019 lives and quilts and longarms and teaches half an hour from where I'm sitting!  :faints:
The only reason I discovered this is that I put longarm Ireland (yes I went for the whole island in the hope that I could find somewhere, anywhere within driving distance) in a search engine. I recognised one of the quilts as the black and yellow circles representing modern on the link that @Acorn put up. I am shook!  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 08:14:26 AM »
Its always the same old names isnt it???  and Christ if you have a longarm machine well then, you definitely have an advantage dont you ?? and if you make a living from it ????  :faints:
There should be an amateur competition and a quilted on a domestic sewing machine section ..

BTW that Monserrat quilt was exhibited last year at FOQ, Is that allowed?? If 'tis I'll get the HSTathon and the Undulating Terror registered for next year!

I really missed the show, not for the commercial aspect (tho' Id dearly love to find Keith Shorrocks again and buyview his wares) but for the quilts and our annual catch up at lunchtime .... Lets hope that things have got back to normal next year!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:16:47 AM by Iminei »

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
I so agree with you, @Iminei, about long arm vs domestic and professionals vs amateurs. Each year I get more disillusioned by the competition element of Festival of Quilts.

Did anyone else notice that in the description for one of the miniature quilts it says “I never quilt my miniatures, preferring to leave the fabrics free of stitching lines, and choosing to display them in frames.”. Would not such an entry have been disqualified (or perhaps never even entered) in normal years? The quilt is made by EPP and I think the maker also leaves in the papers as tana lawn and paper are listed as the materials.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
What's the difference between longarming it yourself and sending it off to have someone else do it (presumably that same person) and paying them? Aren't most of them sent off?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!