The Sewing Place

Wall hanging becoming chair throw... now what?

Flobear

Wall hanging becoming chair throw... now what?
« on: August 12, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »
I decided to make a smallish quilt thingy as a wall-hanging after thinking how bare the wall looked when the C :ninja::ninja: s cards came down.

Went for out-of comfort-zone colours to contrast with the rest of the decor. Happy with what I've done but feel it's too 'inyerface' for a hanging so it is to become a throwish item for the new chair. However, it needs to be rectangular - at least 12ins longer - and was designed as a square so I'm not sure how to proceed and would value advice. I have more of all the fabrics and also a number of others that I bought as possibilities but didn't use.

The colours I based it on are shown in the fleece stripey thing and the cushion cover (somewhat faded). The main colours in the room are a couple of shades of turquoise and faded pinky-terracotta carpet.

Here is a pic. I can supply more info if it would help but I feel I have droned on long enough put my points across succinctly  ;)

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Syrinx

Re: Wall hanging becoming chair throw... now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 10:14:00 AM »
Personally, I'd probably do a border with a big top and bottom to give you the length without taking away from the patchwork design and do a bunch of FMQ in it to pop the piecing. That way the focus is all on the beautiful square center design.

But there may be other better ideas.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:31:28 AM »
It looks as though it's pairs of square blocks, so just make another pair of blocks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »
Bigger borders top and bottom and narrow ones at the sides I think. They don't need to be hugely different, just enough. 4" sides and 6" T&B?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
Thank you to the persons who have suggested thoughts so far.

The problem with adding another row of blocks, @BrendaP is that the whole thing is a symmetrical square pattern and another row -even one at the top and one at the bottom - could look odd. I planned it out on the computer so I will have a fiddle about and see what it looks like.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
I'm another vote for wot @wrenkins said
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
AAaaaaah! You need a pempcil and some graft paper.  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
I feel that a bit of either black or blue in the border would look good perhaps a narrow half inch or inch then a wider border to make up the size yourecaiming for.
If you went for a very wide border at the bottom you could piece some squares into it that would mirror the main design.
Thats probably as clear as mud.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »
@Ploshkin I think I understand your banter old chap!

I've worked out on my computer (modern version of pempcil and graft paper @wrenkins  ;) ) how to add a row of blocks top and bottom that would work but I like the idea of echoing some of the pattern in the border rather than repeating it repeating it wholesale. And it would mean I didn't have to worry about running out of fussy-cut birds.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 13:21:15 PM »
I found it difficult to screw up my monitor and chuck it in the bin. Also...couldn't find an easy way to do HSTs.  :S
Have you seen Stitch fiddle? If you pretend you're doing cross stitch you can colour in wee squares.  :)

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 13:45:35 PM »
@wrenkins When I had a Windows computer I used Microsoft Publisher a lot of the time for leaflets, designs etc.  I've had a Mac for about 5 years and it's the one thing I really miss (apart from a proper Delete key) . I've managed to use Pages to draw squares and rectangles to move about, I can't see that HSTs would be any harder.

Stitch fiddle sounds interestink, I shall 'ave a Butchers.

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 21:52:19 PM »
Another way to make a border is to use some strips from a jelly roll in complementary colors.   
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
The colours are spot on for their inspiration but now you must

Step Away from The Orange @Flobear

Bring in the B&W linear design you have on the outer edge ... (it looks like RubyBlack, a fabric freedom print to me .. which is gorgeous ...) If you bring it round we could soon sort a nice resolution.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
I wold go for a narro border and a slightly wder one - I like Ploshkins suggestion. Definitely stay away from orange  and go dark, the dark you have in the rest of the quilt

PS Luv it
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 13:47:17 PM »
OK, thanks to the good offices and generosity of our dearest Imi, I now have a finished top - well very very nearly.
Piano keys - who knew?
Having added a little border each end, then the keys (mostly from Imi's stash) then another little border, the moment came. Tantatara ...

The long straight side strips cut by my lovely mentor ...

Attached and steam-rollered.

Just one little bit to go, right in the middle -