The Sewing Place

Decisions, decisions- what should I do?

Manuela

Decisions, decisions- what should I do?
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:27 AM »
Dear hive mind, please help me decide - I don’t trust my judgement anymore with this project.
The inspiration was this Mimi G dress
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I rescued the dress (this is the one I referred to as the horrid cross of the snow queen with a polar bear)... Initially, I overdid the stay-taping of armhole and neckhole and it felt very uncomfortable on -too tight. Spent all morning rectifying it, and it fits well now. On top of that I had the stupid idea to add a ‘Chanel’ fringe at the bottom, it looked horrible and I spent hours to take it off (after spending hours to put it on. So, now I am at the complete loss on how to proceed.
The options are

Option #1 leave it as it is, hem it by hand and be done with it. It would be about 1” shorter than I usually wear dresses...

Option #2 add a cotton eyelet ruffle/tier at the bottom of the dress - this was the initial idea, I pinned a piece of it onto the hem

Option #3 shorten the dress and add a cotton eyelet ruffle/tier - the dress is lined

Option #4 - something completely different, suggestions are more than welcome
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:24:57 AM by Manuela »

jintie

Re: Decisions, decisions- what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:43:19 AM »
I would use about half that length of eyelet, making the total length your usual length.
 But what do I know- the heat has kept me awake for two nights and I don't wear dresses!
Rottweiler with scissors

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
As far as I recall you have a couple of other dresses ( :laughing:) so either go for the one that gives you a different length/look or..... maybe you have a length that you feel particularly comfortable with so go for that.
In a shop I would buy option 2 so that's what I've voted for.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
I'd be inclined to leave it as it is, it's a nice basic shape, but then I do prefer a simpler style. Rather than hem it, if you bind it you would keep some of the length

What about adding a couple of pockets, maybe up high as on the Mimi G, or on the hips. Or a kangaroo pocket?

I've not slept much either   :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:59:48 AM by snoozi soozi »
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:05:51 AM »
@snoozi soozi, the boucle is treacherous, hence the dress has seam pockets.
@wrenkins, I believe in more is more when it comes to dresses  :dance:

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:11:19 AM »
Understood.

I should have known you had put pockets in already  :thinking:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 07:33:16 AM »
I like option 1 best - simple but very stylish. Embellish with substantial necklace if it's too plain for your taste

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 07:36:56 AM »
I’d leave it as it is... lots of Chanel type jewellery and bag and you’re done.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 07:56:59 AM »
If you just want to add an inch what about a bit of cotton lace for example or this is a bit more modern.
Failing that i would leave it as it is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:02:31 AM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 08:15:31 AM »
Keep it coming, I won’t make a final decision before the weekend... thank you all very much so far.
I put the dress on again, and think option #1 (leave it as it is and hem it) is out. On second look, it’s more than 1” shorter than I am comfortable with and ends above the knee. Mid-knee it the shortest I nowadays wear... 20 years or so ago it was 45cm  ;)

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 08:39:38 AM »
I think option 2, but not such a deep piece of eyelet. If it is as long as in the photo the proportions look wrong - unless you shorten the dress first. If the dress is lined would you also line the eyelet? It's hard to tell from a photo but the dress fabric looks heavier than the eyelet.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
Ops voted for option 4but meant to vote for 3, on thinking about it though how about 2very short frills rather than 1long

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »
just another thought, what about inserting a panel of the eyelet about 6 inch from the bottom so you still have the nice clean lines but have added interest and length.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
I voted #3 but I really like @sewmuchmore's idea as well.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
Some very good ideas here, thank you  :) lots of food for thought
@sewmuchmore, brilliant idea - unfortunately the eyelet would need to be straight and the hemline is fairly curved due to the A-line shape. Another issue would be the viciousness of the boucle, I really believe it hates me...
@Celia , super idea - I need to check how much eyelet I have and see if I could do a ‘double frill’ in 2 different lengths.
@Greybird, I wouldn’t want to line the eyelet. At the moment the lining is 3cm shorter than the dress.