The Sewing Place

Feet for Singer 201K

BrendaP

Re: Feet for Singer 201K
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 10:38:40 AM »
I have one for my Husqvarna which will fit onto the 201s; they are both low shank machines.

What the walking foot does is push the fabric along from the top by its moving 'dogs' on the underside in addition to what the machine's feed dogs are doing to push the fabric along from the bottom.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 14:43:51 PM »
I have ! :)
I bought this one - https://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/images/quiltfeet/qf075walking.jpg

from Helen Howes and it works fine.

Best wishes
Leila

Thanks @LeilaMay I have two walking foots, one for my elna (modern) and the other was a generic one that still fits the elna.  I have been using my elna for all quilting but this quilt I have made is the biggest yet and wanted to use my 201k because it is a flatbed in it's own table (lots of room).  I think it would be easier that way.  Maybe I will try the generic one and see how it goes.  My thoughts were that the feed-dogs would not be aligned on the 201 due to the narrow dogs on the machine.
Willing but not always able :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 14:59:20 PM »
Well you know, I don't know if they "meet up" and I don't know if they are supposed too!  :) Obviously I am still a beginner. But it works well enough for me.

Perhaps someone else can comment on whether having the the top and bottom sets of teeth meeting is vital or helpful?

:) Good luck

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
Walking feet,  same as other feet , are designed to work with specific machines and that’s the problem using generic ones.  Very often the feet don’t cover the feed dogs properly so the stitching can be off.  That’s why companies advocate using their own feet.  Of course older machines are a bit more awkward to buy for  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 11:06:30 AM »
Without a walking foot the feed on the machine pushes the fabric through OK, the problem is if the two layers want to slip about which makes the lower layer feed faster than the top layer.  The walking foot provides another set of feed dogs on the top which push at the same rate as the lower ones (because lever connects it to the needle going up and down.

The feeds on my Husqvarna walking foot do correspond with the feeds on the machine but they are much further apart than the feeds on the 201.  I used to think that that mattered, but thinking about it I can't see why it should matter.  If you are pushing thick fabric through, especially a quilt sandwich with wadding in the middle, the two sets of feed dogs are not even close together.  The walking foot just adds extra push to the top layer of fabric.

Think of pushing something heavy like a car.  One person pulling from a towrope attached to centre front and two people pushing from the back, one each side.  Each person adds to the momentum but from slightly different angles.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 22:51:28 PM »
I have had a trial run with the walking foot on the 201k and it works really well  :) the foot fits ok and I have slackened the pressure of the presser foot a bit so I am pleased with it.  I can now start on the quilt proper  :)
Willing but not always able :)