The Sewing Place

Make up bag

RJR_38

Make up bag
« on: August 13, 2020, 17:50:01 PM »
I finished making this for my sister's birthday. I used lamifix to make different parts 'wipeable' - It was horrid to work with and I will never use it again lol.

I did however, get to use my labels for the first time. I designed myself a logo and got these fabric labels printed up for bags or purses that I make - so pleased with them!

Acorn

Re: Make up bag
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 18:14:55 PM »
Lucky sister - that's gorgeous!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 18:16:08 PM »
That's lovely @RJR_38. I love those colours.  :loveit:
I saw this on TV a while back. I've never used it but it might be worth checking out for future projects.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 20:25:21 PM »
@wrenkins - thanks I have a pot of it to trial for my next suitable project!

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 20:35:28 PM »
Great pressie :) and I love your logo. What exactly was the problem with the Lamifix @RJR_38? I have some I keep meaning to use for a similar project.

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 21:31:42 PM »
 @Vezelay It seemed to adhere easily enough and was fine to stitch with. However, once you need to turn something through it comes away from the fabric in places and crinkles. It irons back out a bit,  but not properly (you can see it in my third and and fourth pics). So I would say use it in something that needs minimal turning through.

Also, it does leave the fabric feeling a little too plasticky - not like commercially laminated fabrics or oil cloths. A good experiment and the finished product is good enough to gift but I won’t be repurchasing

fajita

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 21:40:03 PM »
Lovely bags, lucky recipient.

I have a metre of that lamifix I bought at Three Counties three or four years ago. I’ve not come across a need for it yet. Must look out a pattern or two.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 22:19:01 PM »
I see what you mean RJR, thanks for the warning. Unfortunately most wash bags need turning through! I'll probably give it a go anyway. You may have started a trend  :).

elisep

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 13:57:49 PM »
This is lovely! Great colours. May I ask if you used a pattern? I didn’t know I needed one until now  0_0
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 21:05:00 PM »
It is by Becky Alexander Frost. She does have an etsy shop and fb group etc. I belong to her new subscription club and this was her first subscribers pattern. I think she is going to release them after 6 months to the general public for sale though...