The Sewing Place

Looking for plastic coated fabric

sewingj

Looking for plastic coated fabric
« on: August 14, 2020, 18:57:42 PM »
I want to replace the fake oilcloth tablecloth that protects our dining table.
Does anyone have a favourite supplier?
It won't get much wear so it doesn't need to be super high quality.
It's currently dark green with gold stars and a lot of paint splodges . Something lighter and floral would be nice

jintie

Re: Looking for plastic coated fabric
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 18:59:19 PM »
I have seen such fabric in Fabricland, but I haven't been in since March.
Rottweiler with scissors

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 19:32:37 PM »
Try Dunelm, I bought some lightweight table covering a few months ago.

It was only £3.50 a metre and they had loads of different patterns.

It’s not as heavy as an oilcloth and I admit it hasn’t been tested by the grandkids but it seems fine.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 20:33:12 PM »
Depends how much you want to spend but i have had stuff from here and you can be very precise what size you need.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Greybird

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 23:32:17 PM »
I’d suggest EBay too, but make sure you buy good quality oilcloth, which is properly woven. Maybe try to look for a brand name ( Prestigious, Laura Ashley, Cath Kidston etc) as I made the mistake of buying cheap stuff once , which was non-woven and it just ripped once sewn as the stitches perforated it.. 

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
Yes you have to check what the backing is - if it doesn't mention it, move on.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 10:33:30 AM »
I’ve bought from Dunelm and use their underlay table protector underneath. However I find both slip around and I’m constantly straightening it. I only have the one table so it’s in constant use. I would like to devise a way of clamping the edges so it doesn’t move.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »
@Puzzler there are loads of different sorts on ebay. I brought some metal ones home from Canada when I was there because I'd never seen them here.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
ooh thanks, @wrenkins. I'll invest in a pack of those.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I`ve gone for this in the end

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oilcloth-Fabric-PVC-Coated-Spring-Meadow-Design-Grey-Matt-Coated-Per-Meter/153454232818?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The dining table is in the conservatory which gets very hot so I thought ordinary PVC might go very floppy

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »
I'm looking for something like this with a backing on.  The one I currently use is now getting a few has slash marks on with age.  I was selling at a village Christmas fair around 2008 and bought it to cover the table they gave me (£4.99).  Since then it's been used to cover the dining room table when I clean the birdies with newspaper on top.  At least once water has sneaked through and marked the table.  So had better invest soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flannel-Backed-Clean-Tablecloth-Dining-Kitchen/dp/B00WSYTV1A
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included