The Sewing Place

New Babylock

Efemera

New Babylock
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
New Babylock coverstitch, no idea when it will be available in the U.K.

Gernella

Re: New Babylock
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:42:40 AM »
@Efemera, sometimes I wish I was very rich, unfortunately around £1600 is way above my pay grade so I'll have to stick with the Janome, which has been working exceptionally well just lately.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
£1600? Wow! Really?

Why?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 11:45:12 AM »
£1600? Wow! Really?

Why?

It’s a Babylock!   :)  Like asking why are Bernina are so expensive.  Babylock are definitely the best coverstitch machines around.  There aren’t many and I think I’ve used them all.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 13:56:08 PM »
It’s a Babylock!   :)  Like asking why are Bernina are so expensive.  Babylock are definitely the best coverstitch machines around.  There aren’t many and I think I’ve used them all.
OK, thanks, that makes sense (I have a Bernina).
But you would have to want to make a lot of things that needed a coverstitch to justify spending that much.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 15:50:01 PM »
I am seriously looking, it tick all the boxes for the things I feel are lacking with my current model.

The increased harp space and the ability to raise the pressure foot higher are the main pluses as far as I’m concerned.

I will feel guilty but only slightly  ;. Money in a savings account isn’t making me anything so I might as well have the fun of a new machine.

Plus Babylocks are fab machines and make life sooooo much easier.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 17:02:33 PM »
I’m thinking of upgrading..I’ve got the BLCS2

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 18:44:03 PM »
@Sewingsue i think there is the misconception that a coverstitch is just used for hems. But you can do quite a lot with it. 

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 20:02:01 PM »
I’m thinking of upgrading..I’ve got the BLCS2

@Efemera you should get a good trade in for that, or sell it yourself. It’s a good machine and there will be plenty of prospective buyers.

Anything sewing machine related is selling well at the moment.

Apricot

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 23:30:28 PM »
All I will say it is certainly a large and solid machine - no moving around the table with this one.
sew long and prosper

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »
Well I got a trade in price...... think I’ll be selling it privately.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
If I were considering buying a new coverstitch machine this would be top of the list – if it weren't for that price ticket. I'm not wanting a Babylock specifically although it has a great reputation. My Bernina L220 (twin to Juki MCS-1500) is a great machine too but the features that are so very tempting for me with the Babylock Euphoria are:

-- Knee lift!!!
-- Presser foot lever on the right (this is the one and only thing I ever miss about my Brother overlocker)
-- Extra wide harp space

If Juki brings in a new model some time with those features (I'd really like a needle up/down feature too) I'd be pretty tempted but I've hardly used it at all for any of the sewing with wovens that I've been doing primarily since the dancewear demands have been on pause so I'm starting to find the cost issues of machine buying so much more difficult to justify.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
Ooh, I do like the big harp space, it's hard trying to shove some things through my BLCS2... No, can't afford it!

Apricot

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
She has landed.
I’ve not got further than threading the looper. The jet air threading port seems slightly different at the insertion stage. She is a larger, heavier machine which is probably good overall.
I believe most of my attachments and feet are compatible and so are some from the Ovation.

If anyone has experience of the seam guide for the Ovation Ikd be interested to hear more.
I’ll post more later.

I have a much loved, lightly used BLCS if anyone is interested.
sew long and prosper

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
Just too jealous darling @Apricot, probably can't even afford a lightly used BLCS.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included