The Sewing Place

New Babylock

Sewingsue

Re: New Babylock
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 11:23:39 AM »
Post deleted
Sorry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:56:49 PM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
@Apricot id be interested in knowing how you get along with the binder,,, ive heard rumours that it sits too near the foot and is difficult the manoeuvre the fabric.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:37:54 PM by Efemera »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
Look forward to hearing what it’s like.  Not that I can afford one!   :(

Apricot

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
Yes that will be interesting. First job to try that out.

I have been wondering about keeping the BLCS set up with a binder. At the moment she is back in her original packing for some dream time.

This could be a useful information thread. Please don't post enquiries about my sweetheart here. PM is better. She won't like to be talked about in public.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:49:57 PM by Apricot »
sew long and prosper

maliw

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 14:49:27 PM »
Looks interesting but I have a Janome CS machine and can't justify a swap. I do have a Babylock overlocker Imagine 2 which has been great although for some reason it's taken a great dislike to ordinary sewing thread in the needles ?????
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Apricot

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 16:29:51 PM »
Overlockers like to have overlocker thread on cones or large spools. Unless you are doing something fancy with fancy threads.  Empress Mills have a good overlocker thread or if you want to splash out Madeira.
sew long and prosper

Apricot

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 19:45:54 PM »
A little update. I found the threading diagrams not easy to follow. There are two Youtube videos I found helpful. One by Lacey in the FB group and Nutts have a demo.  I immediately found my mistakes from these. However I don't think I have mastered the mysterious above needle plate - there seems to be a twist to do but it is all obscured. Maybe this is typical of some of the new generation of coverlock machines.

The needle threader works well but it appears a bit stiff at the moment, requires a big press to get it to descend. Looks as if it is working well. Chains on and off. I'm not yet certain how you clear the stitch fingers if you want to.

My largest knit double fold binder fits on the outer holes. The position is quite snug and close to the foot edge but there is enough room to train strips under the foot with tweezers.  However I wouldn't say I have got it in the correct position yet or which needle position is easiest to use it with on narrow coverstitch.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 22:53:42 PM by Apricot »
sew long and prosper

Apricot

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 22:46:35 PM »
In a nutshell. She feels and behaves more like an overlocker. That is mean't in a good way.  Haven't had too much time to explore yet.
sew long and prosper

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »
@Sewingsue i think there is the misconception that a coverstitch is just used for hems. But you can do quite a lot with it.

I've pieced entire quilts and seamed entire garments with my cheapie Singer overlocker.

Bernina has a new one out at the local dealer but I'm staying home so haven't seen it.

Babylock has a more expensive model than this one. :faints:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Stitchalot

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2020, 08:18:52 AM »
My kids will need to pay 40% Inheritance Tax on some of my estate. So by spending it now I am actually saving 40%. Doesn’t make justifying a nice machine quite as difficult  :rolleyes:

Sewingsue

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
My kids will need to pay 40% Inheritance Tax on some of my estate. So by spending it now I am actually saving 40%. Doesn’t make justifying a nice machine quite as difficult  :rolleyes:
And the prize for the best justification goes to...
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.