The Sewing Place

New Iron Recommendations

SewMo

New Iron Recommendations
« on: August 17, 2020, 14:08:40 PM »
Hi all, first time posting so hello.

I've managed to take a fair bit of the coating off of my iron so think it's time to buy a new one.

Debating whether to get a gravity fed steam iron, or one of the new fancy steam generating ones.

If money was no object I'd get the  Miele FashionMaster Steam Ironing System, just so I could play with the inflating board, but realistically it's so over specced (and the price  :o )

It will be used for dressmaking etc

Thanks

fajita

Re: New Iron Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 14:23:00 PM »
Hello, welcome @SewMo

I have a steam generator iron for the big stuff which is excellent  and a travel sized dry (can do steam but I never use it that way) iron for next to the sewing machine.

Good luck making your choice.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 16:27:24 PM »
I'm a Phillips steam generator fan.  I've got two, upstairs and downstairs and I am highly delighted.  The upstairs one, to me, steams the best but has no lock on, which I have found extremely useful and a removable tank to fill is useful. What I would like next time is one without the cord on the end of the iron, it gets in the way sometimes.

Argos have some good buys on Ebay and Philips sometimes used them for selling old stock, which I think are bargains.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dcat=43513&_fsrp=1&_nkw=steam+generator&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0&Brand=Philips

I am not on commission >:)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:04:43 AM »
You've set me dreaming too @SewMo  and I rather like the Laurastar S with fan function through the ironing board etc for a bit over half the price of the Miele currently from the makers online but only £100 less if you pop into Harrods for one. Their video is very seductive...

Then I'm suddenly thinking, 'Well, it's what I'd have to pay for Juki coverstitch' but it really doesn't help, does it?!  :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
Blimey @Marniesews that is some iron and board, I've got to have one of them, wheels as well, no lifting.

Seduction done well and truly. <3
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
How much!!! :scream:

SewMo

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Oh no Marniesews, I think I've fallen in love with that iron  :loveit:

I like the additional soleplate for delicates, and the hot iron storage is very clever, but the price. But then, it's only a little more than some of the Philip's steam generators.

Gernella, how do you find the steam generators for pressing? They look very lightweight, which would be fab for the ironing but maybe not for setting seams.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »
Ooh I like the look of that @Marniesews.  I don’t think that’s a bad price for what it is. 

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Wow! and I can't believe how slim it is folded

But - How Much??????????  :faints:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 13:46:35 PM »
I have a Philips steam generator and a cheapo Tower iron, I also have an ironing press but it's a lot of hassle to set up so doesn't get used much.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 16:32:16 PM »

Gernella, how do you find the steam generators for pressing? They look very lightweight, which would be fab for the ironing but maybe not for setting seams.

Trust me @SewMo there is that much steam coming out, seams just lay down and give in.  All you're really doing is moving the iron across, the steam does the rest, there is no weight involved.   I've actually used it on a dress this afternoon before overlocking the hem.  It did the job just with using my little table top ironing board.

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
Has anyone heard of an "intelligent" iron that has no heat setting dial but automatically adjusts the heat to the fabric of the garment being pressed?

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »
I seem to think Phillips have one of those at the top end @annieeg .  My supermarket friend has one those, I remember her telling me she never changed the settings.  Amongst my criteria for an iron is one where you don't have to buy the cartridges that sort the descale out, I suspect that this iron uses them.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
I have a Philips tank iron we use down stairs for ironing.  It replaced another Philips I really liked.  I love the soleplates.  You can’t alter the temperature on it.  You have two steam settings, an eco one and one that makes you feel like you’re in the tropics!  I hate it.  It wasn’t cheap.  The only way to do cotton sheets is to use the extra steam.  DH usually does everything on the eco mode.   :rolleyes:

I also have a small tank iron, again Philips, which I use in my sewing room.  It has a temperature dial :dance: , turns itself off when it’s not used and cost me £60  in Beales before they closed.  I love it.   It was half price.  Even so it was still much cheaper than the other one.  I’d never buy another one without temperature control.  I want to decide what temperature I need.   Bugger all use for dressmaking because you don’t always want all that steam but need a higher temperature.

SewMo

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 20:36:21 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  I did look at the one temp iron and it's good to read your feedback on it. I just wouldn't trust a one setting does it all for silk or applying interfacing. I definitely want that control!