The Sewing Place

Total newb from Lincolnshire

John1964

Total newb from Lincolnshire
« on: August 17, 2020, 19:59:17 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm from Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire. Started machine sewing some weeks ago when I wanted to modify one of my tents by adding zips and a canvas skirt. Was donated the family heirloom, a Singer 28K from 1900 and something, and away I went. Anyway the end result is functional but not pretty. But I'd got the bug.

A few weeks later I'd managed to add two other Singers into our house within five days of each other  0_0 and became the proud owner of a 201K and 401g. Still not quite sure how it happened but hey ho, it did.

I do a lot of camping and want to modify what I use and make new stuff. So I've started watching YouTube videos and went looking for a UK forum and that's how I found you  :D

Thank you for letting me join and I'm looking forward to learning the basics and reading all the things you do

Kind regards

John
Every day's a school day, but some days my enthusiasm to learn is defeated by my ability to forget

Somehow I appear to have acquired some Singers - 28K, 201K and 401g !! Not quite sure how it happened

Lilian

Re: Total newb from Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 20:03:42 PM »
Hi @John1964 welcome to TSP  :)  :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

fajita

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 20:08:38 PM »
 :flower: :drink: Welcome @John1964

maliw

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 20:23:14 PM »
Hello and welcome.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 20:26:20 PM »
Hello and welcome. Have some cake.  :drink: :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 20:32:44 PM »
Welcome. We like pics, your camping projects sound interesting, will you share pics?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

John1964

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 20:57:46 PM »
Welcome. We like pics, your camping projects sound interesting, will you share pics?

Sure but I need to subscribe I think
Every day's a school day, but some days my enthusiasm to learn is defeated by my ability to forget

Somehow I appear to have acquired some Singers - 28K, 201K and 401g !! Not quite sure how it happened

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 21:05:49 PM »
Hi @John1964   Welcome to TSP.

My introduction to using a sewing machine (a handcranked Jones) was helping my Dad to make alarge tent for family holidays.  If the numbers in your name indicate your year of birth then my turning the machine handle would have been before you were born!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 23:12:10 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 07:36:59 AM »
Welcome to TSP @John1964 
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
Hello from a bit further south in Lincolnshire.

I too would be very interested in your tent modifications, although I fear my days of cycle touring/camping are over - especially as we have two large woofbags and a motorhome.

TartanPaint

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
@John1964

Hi John and welcome from Bonnie Scotland (currently being drenched under that lovely fine liquid sunshine we do so well up here). Nice to see another guy joining too. Maybe I'll spend less time locked up under the stairs until I agree to do quilting; not pointing any elbows @Iminei and @wrenkins .....

I joined a few weeks ago with a Toyota Quilt 50, landed a fairly big fabric stash and now I have three machines. I also thought I'd be making things like furnishy stuff but, between here and a local fabric supplier, I'm now getting into quilting and making clothes, apparently.

You'll like it here. They're all lovely. Mental but lovely.

:D
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

snoozi soozi

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 16:35:19 PM »
@John1964 hello welcome from another Scunny Bunny  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 16:39:34 PM »
Well you've certainly started well @John1964, three machines in a few weeks and we hadn't even had time to 'machine wash' you. 

I like YouTube for videos when I want to know how, there are some terrific ones about and it's amazing what you can learn to do
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

John1964

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 17:25:30 PM »
Thank you for all the kind responses everyone

Have been reading various posts on the site and I've made a good choice with all the knowledge you have and how freely you share it.

Spent a happy few hours last night in the vintage machines section reading about 401g's and 201K's  ;)

Really looking forward to getting involved

Cheers  :thumbsup: