The Sewing Place

Total newb from Lincolnshire

John1964

Re: Total newb from Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 17:29:07 PM »
@John1964 hello welcome from another Scunny Bunny  :)

Brilliant  :thumbsup:

Do you give lessons?  0_0
Every day's a school day, but some days my enthusiasm to learn is defeated by my ability to forget

Somehow I appear to have acquired some Singers - 28K, 201K and 401g !! Not quite sure how it happened

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 18:07:32 PM »
Oh look @TartanPaint.
Brilliant  :thumbsup:

Do you give lessons?  0_0

Another shy boy...just like you!   :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

TartanPaint

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 18:33:19 PM »
Oh look @TartanPaint.
Another shy boy...just like you!   :laughing:

@wrenkins

I'm sure I've no idea what you mean....

:angel:
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

John1964

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 18:39:35 PM »
@wrenkins

I'm sure I've no idea what you mean....

:angel:

I get the feeling there's a joke here I'm not in on  :thinking:
Every day's a school day, but some days my enthusiasm to learn is defeated by my ability to forget

Somehow I appear to have acquired some Singers - 28K, 201K and 401g !! Not quite sure how it happened

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 18:43:30 PM »
Not at all.
I was just being cheeky!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 18:56:33 PM »
@John1964 "do you give lessons?" :laughing:

Ahem, but seriously, I don't think I could teach you anything worth knowing, for I am simply a novice myself.

Thanks though  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Surest1tch

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 20:48:49 PM »
Hi @John1964, welcome from me too. I'm on the North bank of the river to you. Just you wait we'll have you making all sorts of things you didn't know you could do and collecting even more machines (it's addictive) just like we have @TartanPaint  :thumbsup:.

TartanPaint

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 21:05:30 PM »
Hi @John1964, welcome from me too. I'm on the North bank of the river to you. Just you wait we'll have you making all sorts of things you didn't know you could do and collecting even more machines (it's addictive) just like we have @TartanPaint  :thumbsup:.

@Surest1tch

Enabler!

:laughing:
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Kenora

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 14:09:28 PM »
Just catching up - so a very warm welcome @John1964 from me too! :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

hernibs

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 22:48:20 PM »
I get the feeling there's a joke here I'm not in on  :thinking:

Don't worry @John1964 - those two are always knocking spots off each other....or as the Americans say 'off of each other'

Anyhow welcome to the forum...best wishes for all your endeavours from Northern Ireland - I am the sensible one of the two of us from this part of the world...ahem.

John1964

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »
Well next step on the path of learning was to try to make a face covering. I've got a load of old t-shirts from when I went to motorcycle race meetings in the late 80's and 90's that are a bit past it due to age (neck elastic gone, the odd hole) so I thought I would chop out the logos and make a face covering.

Lessons learned:
  • T-shirt fabric is stretchy and a bugger to work with as a newbie
  • Things got better when I upped the tension
  • Increasing stitch length helped as well
  • Waiting to buy the right needle (ball point) would have resulted in a lot less swearing  0_0 rather than just diviing in with what I had

Anyway I've learned a lot about tension, stitch length, using reverse and cotton strength (kept snapping) but I've also sewn a lot more and it's getting neater (in places).

Definitely want to change the foot pedal to a flange type rather than the button type I've got.

Onward and, well probably just onward for a while as upward seems a way off ....................

John   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:36:08 AM by John1964 »

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 07:22:30 AM »
Overall enjoying and that's the main thing!  :)
Keep up the good work. I'm still getting neater in places and I've been doing it a while now.  :S

You should start a diary thread and then you can chart your progress for the world to see.  8)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:24:21 AM by wrenkins »