The Sewing Place

Style of Skater dress

Fabric Lover

Style of Skater dress
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
I always thought that a Skater dress had a full skirt, perhaps in a knitted fabric? Am I wrong? Saw this dress on M&S website (where I go for inspiration) and am now a little puzzled. http://www.marksandspencer.com/cutwork-skater-dress/p/p22504005?image=SD_01_T42_6419_K0_X_EC_90&color=CREAM&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect
 -<
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Acorn

Re: Style of Skater dress
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
M&S also think that jeggings have flies.  I think they're lost the plot.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
In my day that style used to be called a shift dress so why they've called it a skater dress I can't imagine.  The mind boggles!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
Yes, shift/sheath dress for me too.  Definitely not Skater.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
Yes, definitely NOT a skater dress. M&S don't know what they're talking about.

charlotte

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Ah M&S. They're having lots of issues lately. This baby is getting them a lot of negative press: http://www.marksandspencer.com/tie-back-flared-sleeve-tunic-dress/p/p22507211?image=SD_01_T42_2835_A0_X_EC_90&color=PINK&prevPage=plp

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
Ah M&S. They're having lots of issues lately. This baby is getting them a lot of negative press: http://www.marksandspencer.com/tie-back-flared-sleeve-tunic-dress/p/p22507211?image=SD_01_T42_2835_A0_X_EC_90&color=PINK&prevPage=plp

I actually quite like that  :| It would look dreadful on me but I do like the look

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Haha it's definitely a Marmite dress if you look at the reviews!

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
It's not for everyone is it?

Some of the reviews are great.

Sandra.
xxx

Missie

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 13:20:27 PM »
I actually quite like that  :| It would look dreadful on me but I do like the look

Me too!  I saw it in the window of my local branch yesterday and thought it looked quite cute.  The colour would defo look awful on me and I'm not sure the sleeves would look great on me, but I thought it is a style I might try and make just to see!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 13:25:43 PM »

This Vogue pattern is so much better.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 14:00:46 PM »
That's lovely UR, not for me, but lovely all the same.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 14:11:12 PM »
I much prefer the Vogue pattern too.  Reminds me why I make my own clothes.  I am not so keen on the M&S one (although it does remind me of a photo of muv in the 1970s wearing very similar).  It got me thinking though, given that it is such a distinctive dress, if you were in the "like" camp and bought it wouldn't you worry that someone else would be wearing the same if you were out at a 'do'?  Which got me further thinking (I know!) should we women worry if we are wearing the same dress as someone else?  Men don't, in fact at certain occasions it is positively obligatory.  And yet, rightly or wrongly, I know that I would not be happy at all if I saw someone wearing the same dress as me at an event (it has happened once). 

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 14:19:34 PM »
I once turned up to a party in the same dress as someone else. We spent the evening taking pictures together and copying each other's dance moves.

Missie

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 14:26:29 PM »
It's not for everyone is it?

Some of the reviews are great.

Sandra.
xxx

Interestingly, if you look at the age split of the reviews, there is a definite demarcation.