The Sewing Place

Sewing room...what size is yours?

Goth Gardiner

Re: Sewing room...what size is yours?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 15:27:38 PM »
I think you could make a nice sewing space out of that.  Two tabels at a right angle filling the back wall and one side wall,  and an ironing station on the other side.

You'd need to make sure the doors didn't open inwards though, and think about light too.

But I would double check that your husband doesn't think that this will mean your sewing won't encroach into the rest of the house.  My husband was quite out our to find that I still needed to occasionally  cut out elsewhere from my
Wewing room.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

BriarRose

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 15:40:37 PM »
After my children left home, I took over the largest bedroom which is roughly 180 square feet. I also have my office in here. I had a larger room in the basement (with a fireplace, yet) but disliked being without natural light. My husband took that over as his music room and I moved upstairs.

Arrangement matters hugely, especially with a small space.  If it is open to another room on one side, 6 x 6 would be a fine area for sewing and being able to leave projects in progress out. I've seen lovely sewing areas developed from closets. Enclosed on all four sides- hmm, that might feel claustrophobic especially once part of the space was filled with furniture and equipment.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 15:47:42 PM »
@BriarRose wowzers, that sounds mahoosive - 180 sq feet?!  :faints:

You lucky divil
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lollipop

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 16:09:13 PM »
Reading this makes me feel very fortunate. My sewing space was the integral garage that I had converted so is about 6m x3m I have so much "stuff" that I struggle for storage space but that's because I need lots of fabric for dancers to choose from (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!)   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Was Sewnanny

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 16:10:08 PM »
I think I would live with this- "large sewing room"

http://www.younge.com/sewing_room_pages/photo_gallery.htm

I think I'd get rid of the tv though, I could use the space and I don't need entertainment.  Being really picky it looks like it is in a basement and I like a good view.  Oh and the stuff on the wall would have to go, too busy.  There's a kitchenette as well, I don't like food or drink in my sewing space.

On second thoughts I'll stay where I am <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 16:11:14 PM »
Mine is about 2m x 2m usable space but I only sew in it and there is a built in cupboard on the stairwell box that leaves the door not included in the room (it's the typical box room). I always cut out elsewhere and press elsewhere.

I did try sewing in the spare room but the light isn't as good and I like a good natural light. We keep thinking about extending the spare room which would give me better light and could take a bed as well.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 16:44:29 PM »
I think I would live with this- "large sewing room"

http://www.younge.com/sewing_room_pages/photo_gallery.htm

How many sets of thread reels?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 19:01:19 PM »
How many sets of thread reels?

Personally I like mine out of sight, I think they last longer out of daylight.

Get one of these @HelenM I would call it my best buy for this year.  I got off Amazon so it was only around £80 at the time.  I work in a north facing room but even on a good day you switch this on and the light is mind blowing it is so good.

https://daylightcompany.com/lumi-task-lamp/

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 19:04:57 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Arloony

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 19:08:42 PM »
Mine is about 2m x 2m usable space but I only sew in it and there is a built in cupboard on the stairwell box that leaves the door not included in the room (it's the typical box room). I always cut out elsewhere and press elsewhere.

I did try sewing in the spare room but the light isn't as good and I like a good natural light. We keep thinking about extending the spare room which would give me better light and could take a bed as well.

This is it Helen, this is what I would use that room for....nice little storage and SEWING. I could use my small ironing board and for bigger press I could go in the living/dining room open space (just how I use it now).

All pictures of your room are very welcome :)

Thanks
Arlene

Arloony

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 19:17:03 PM »
@Arloony, there is a whole section of this forum dedicated to sewing rooms - with pictures  :thumbsup:
Here is the link: https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/board,43.0.html

while I have a dedicated sewing room here, in our next place I have an awkward corridor turned into a sewing space. It’s just next to the dining area, with the dining table serving double duty as a cutting table.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The built in table and wall mounted furniture came with the place, I covered the wall cabinets and the drawer unit under the table with blackboard foil. The space provided by the pegboard helps me keeping everything organised.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Hi Manuela,
Your space looks amazing!

Arloony

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 19:22:44 PM »
I forgot to say, will the 2m x 2m be the inside measurements?  If it's the outside, then that would make it very small inside.

this is inside space

Arloony

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 19:25:28 PM »
I think you could make a nice sewing space out of that.  Two tabels at a right angle filling the back wall and one side wall,  and an ironing station on the other side.

You'd need to make sure the doors didn't open inwards though, and think about light too.

But I would double check that your husband doesn't think that this will mean your sewing won't encroach into the rest of the house.  My husband was quite out our to find that I still needed to occasionally  cut out elsewhere from my
Wewing room.

Yes the light wouldn't be an issue at all. I will have plenty.
Just a thought....I may check Pinterest for visual inspiration for small sewing room space.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 20:47:16 PM »
@Surest1tch  Sounds like mine, machines on top of furniture, boxes underneath, things in mugs, things in cupboards etc etc.  But we need it all!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 22:05:55 PM »
There is a member on Pattern review who linked to a video she made of her sewing space.  It is a master of organisation.

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 23:02:38 PM »
Mine is about 2.5m x 3m and sounds rather like @Surest1tch 's.  I have a very sturdy corner desk with 3 modern (ish) machines on it - they get pushed back/pulled forward depending on which one is currently in use.  Another table with a 201 :vintage:, 2 chests of drawers stuffed full with sewing threads, lace bobbins, scissors, habby bits and bobs etc etc.  Several stacks of plastic boxes housing P&Q stash fabric and other goodies.  There is a built in wardrobe one side of which contains out of season clothes, the other side has shelves crammed with card making stuff and assorted lacemaking and other threads.  All very bitty and it's not big enough! 

The downstairs study has my laptop and another  :vintage:201, for those little "can you just" jobs although the desk is also the biggest space if I'm quilting something big.  This room also has a basket for habby, drawers for dressmaking patterns and a bookcase which holds the sewing books.  Agatha lives here too.  The dressmaking stash fabric lives in the "spare" bedroom (which doubles as Pilates studio for the weekly zoom class) but is also the biggest bit of floor space if I want to sandwich a quilt. Alas the fabric won't all fit into the wardrobe there; because I've got my painting stuff in there too.  There are two plastic crates of fabric which are overflowing just sitting on the bed!

I'm a squirrel but it's taken a lifetime to accumulate it all.   At 18 I had a handcrank  :vintage: and one box which contained everything!  When DD1 was a baby I acquired a table in the box room and a couple of storage boxes and it stayed at that level for quite a few years.  As the girls left home space became more plentiful and I expanded to use it all! 

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.