The Sewing Place

Sewing room...what size is yours?

UttaRetch

Re: Sewing room...what size is yours?
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 17:37:08 PM »
@BrendaP: people work in different ways and it is not uncommon to have several projects on the go.  Personally, I don't start another project until I have finished the last.

@SewRuthieSews: she said in the video that she does not keep a lot of fabric.  Nothing wrong with that.  I don't subscribe to cupboards bulging with fabrics.  I have a few lengths with projects in mind and don't buy fabric just because.

Celia

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2020, 19:05:28 PM »
I have recently removed the tv from my sewing space and must admit it is much better, mind you if I want to watch something I just use my iPad. The extra space moving the tv made has really made a difference in a very small room.

Syrinx

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 20:05:07 PM »
I think my space is about 6m by 2.5/3m. But most of that is taken up by random storage of furniture and stuff, so its more like 1.5 width by 3-4m length, again some interupted by storage. Currently using a couple of tables only just big enough for my cutting mat so width is a major problem. I'd love a big 1m wide cutting table and for all the stuff to be moved out so I have the whole room. There's a weird tiny hallway and a full bathroom. There's an idea flating about to remove hallwa and turn bathroom into a proper wetroom, put a tiny kitchen in the main room and turn it into a proper study come sewing room so we shall see how that goes!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 15:02:46 PM »
Yes some people like to have plenty of fabric, others less so. I don't think either approach is right or wrong - just different, but it does impact what each person needs to find storage space for.

I love physical fabric and find it very inspirational. I'm much more likely to work from the fabric than from an external concept. I also repurpose old curtains and duvet covers into other things, and use up scraps in things.

Where I had to store fabric in the loft I kept swatches in a folder, but I dont do that anymore!

Gernella

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 15:24:10 PM »
I now have around 36 meters after buying 16 and using 19 from this year.  I don't want it to increase beyond this.  However I do have it all documented now so it is relatively easy to match to what I want.  This is because bricks an mortar is not available to me at short notice, or even probably at all.  The last place I bought some from never had what I wanted and I noticed I was buying to give her a  sale.

Too much would make me feel uncomfortable plus I have no more space.  I certainly wouldn't like to go back to the 1 in and 1 out philosophy.  At least this allows me to change my mind based on circumstances or needs.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2020, 15:53:09 PM »
IVE just measured  my room.  it's about 10 ft x12ft 6ins. Used to be my son's bedroom many moons ago.
my workbench is along the 10 ft wall.  There are fabric storage drawers underneath the cutting table and lights everywhere!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 15:56:28 PM by Ohsewsimple »