The Sewing Place

Sewing room...what size is yours?

BriarRose

Re: Sewing room...what size is yours?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 23:49:49 PM »
@BriarRose wowzers, that sounds mahoosive - 180 sq feet?!  :faints:

You lucky divil

After several decades of sewing on the dining room table, I do feel like a "lucky divil."  8)  My daughter likes to accuse me of shoving her out of the nest so I could have her room. ;)
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

mudcat

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 01:51:42 AM »
My sewing room is about 10ft x10ft.  Plus the closet which is another 2ft x 7ft. The missing 3ft in length is taken up by the coat closet on the other side of the wall.

I use my kitchen counter top to cut out. It's huge ... 39inches x about 12ft though only 9ft are usable because the wall end is taken up with my espresso machine, mini mazzer, basket of stuff, napkin holder, etc.  I typically use 3 of the large 24"x36" olfa mats on the counter so I don't generally need all the space unless I'm making something super long.

While I'd love to have a larger sewing room it's certainly sufficient for my needs. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:58:14 AM by mudcat »

Kwaaked

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:51 AM »
At home, my treadle is along a wall.  I have enough space for a floor lamp and a sewing basket.  Hook in the ceiling, have my gravity feed water bottle hanging up, a shelf for the iron, board in the wall.  I hang up what I am working on.  So, technically 4'x3' at most, and only when my chair is out.  Takes no more space then a desk.

My work room is 35'x22', where my mirror and fitting room/office is 8'x20' 2800 square feet.

Thing is, you work in whatever area you have, honestly.

Celia

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
My room is not quiet 1.9 metres wide and nearly 2.5 long, it is not perfect but it is certainly useful I do have a cupboard which is like a built in wardrobe at one end which we took the door off and put shelves in and that does help a lot,
I have a large desk on one side which has 2 sewing machines on it a smaller one on the other side with my overlocker on it and a gate leg table which I can only put one leg up of but it I very useful.

I don’t store fabrics in there but I do have to keep a lot of office paperwork which hopefully is going soon, maybe some fabric could replace it.

I would dearly love a place to have my knitting machine out but  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Gernella

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »
There is a member on Pattern review who linked to a video she made of her sewing space.  It is a master of organisation.

I see she has plenty of Artbin Storage @UttaRetch , I love these for threads although I haven't got quite as many as she has and I am trying with my new pattern folders.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annieeg

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »
I see she has plenty of Artbin Storage @UttaRetch , I love these for threads although I haven't got quite as many as she has and I am trying with my new pattern folders.
@UttaRetch @Gernella
I thought that video was inspirational and I'm going to research the IKEA pegboard system which looks really useful.   

Kwaaked

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
We finish getting the shop re-opened I'll take a tour of mine...but it will be a few months.  I have chairs I am reupholstering and nothing you do can make a space neat doing it.

dyedinthewool

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 16:03:39 PM »
Hello, new here but I thought I'd jump in with my situation.
I sew in a box room (total space about 2 m x 2m) but only half of that is my sewing space (so 1 m x 2 m) because, when it's all organised, the other half will be for my other crafts (knitting, spinning, beading, cross stitch, etc).

I'll get photos as soon as I can!

I have to cut out on a pasting table shoved up against the desk and fabric chests of draws (less than ideal), but I'd rather that than grubbing around on the floor!

fajita

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2020, 16:54:24 PM »
Welcome @dyedinthewool  :flower: :drink:

BriarRose

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 17:49:21 PM »
Welcome here from a floor grubber!  :) I aspire to cutting things out on tables, especially since I am well on my way toward seventy, but sooner or later I find myself crawling around a swath of fabric laid out on the floor. For long swaths of fabric, I go to the museum after hours and spread everything out on those wonderful floors kept so clean by the world's best custodial staff.

#1 on the To-Do List for today is: straighten the sewing room so I can work in it without tripping over anything.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
My current sewing room is a small bedroom though I was previously in the smallest bedroom, but at other homes I have had one end of bedroom, one end of the living room, and etc. I always make space to sew.

My current space is about 2.4 by 2.8 metres.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is the seeing area of my sewing room. I have a wardrobe, cutting/drafting table and dummy out of sight. The rest if the room is being used as a dumping ground at present as we are having building work done, but I have successfully made a dress in this area.

It is 2.10m across the back and the tables to the right are 1.5m.  if this was all the space I had I would replace the full sized ironing board on the right with another table and a small ironing board.

Still a.work in progress. My husband was supposed to be abroad for a chunk of this year and I was going to use the opportunity to move things around.

Hope that helps.

Gg
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Gernella

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
A blast from the past.  Took a bit of finding this one.  First month of retirement and I was clearing out rubbish.  The sewing space, top corner, old sewing desk with wobbly legs, bought in 1967 for my 21st birthday, sewing machine, lady who stands doing nothing (bought 1992), and a folding unit bought via Sew Today which held threads, all leftovers because then it was one in, one out.  That was it And it was the only bit of space where nothing as chucked out

Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 23:07:40 PM »
@Arloony I sew on a little table. I haven't done much of late. You mentioned Pinterest so here is a link to my board on sewing rooms. It's mostly tiny spaces or small space clever storage as I'm still working on carving out a little space where my sewing/embroidery machine and overlocker can stay up.

Depending on how much stuff you have to store and how varied your sewing is you'll need some creative storage solutions elsewhere in the house. I have a small antique cabinet with 12 drawers made from cigar boxes holding small notions in the living room. In the dining room an antique armoire is all sewing storage with some of those pretty paper boxes with the plastic coated outside stacked on top with extra light weight things. My cutting table is a 3 x 5 foot farm table on our large entry porch. That's seasonal of course and normally I cut at the Senior Center in the craft room but it's been closed since March. I have other antique pieces that hold stuff. I have boxes similar to the art bin ones to  hold some things. A couple hold precut projects, another holds works in progress.

I would draw it all to scale on graph paper and even do scale size cutouts in cardstock that you can move around to determine the best fit. Be sure to include doors and how they swing as well as windows and any built ins you can't remove.

Maybe @Esme866 will see this. She used to work in interior design and I believe knows work space minimums such as how much space you need for you and the chair in front of the desk.

Many of my friends have custom built homes and were able to design the large sewing rooms of their dreams. None were ever totally satisfied with the reality but we were all sworn to never tell the husbands that. The absolute best sewing room out of all my friends was a converted closet in a guest bedroom. Just a regular little closet, maybe 30" deep and 40" wide. There was a shelf fitted for the machines, storage configured above and on one side wall. The chair rolled into the closet and there was a pocket door. Her small stash was in  rolling storage that went under the bed. Room and closet had laminate flooring so it was easy to move stuff and to clean.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
After seeing that lot @Renegade Sewist I've decided that I need an element of chaos around me in some form.  I'm not a fan of anything attached to the wall, in fact the more out of sight the better and certainly not 'looking pretty'.  I'm a more of a functional person I think.

There is one thing, since I've had new kitty, machines have been covered up before I walk out.  He's sort of lost interest now, apart from sleeping behind one of them on a pile of batting left behind on a brief trip to the dark side.  I've put a blanket over it now.