The Sewing Place

Sewing room...what size is yours?

Gernella

Re: Sewing room...what size is yours?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is the seeing area of my sewing room. I have a wardrobe, cutting/drafting table and dummy out of sight. The rest if the room is being used as a dumping ground at present as we are having building work done, but I have successfully made a dress in this area.

When you think about @Goth Gardiner this is how it should be, machine, turn and overlocker, coverstitcher.  Iron and board on the other side.  Bit like working in a kitchen really, all your tools within a small area.

Love that machine.  When I was looking to change in 2009 I lusted after that but couldn't afford it.  I like my Pfaff but if I ever got chance of a much reduced one I'd swap the Janome for the Mega Quilter.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Puzzler

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2020, 15:42:09 PM »
There is a member on Pattern review who linked to a video she made of her sewing space.  It is a master of organisation.

I love this woman! I too can avoid prison due to a tall, narrow Ikea Billy bookcase in my sewing room. Astounded at her lack of fabric stash. :o 

Sewingsue

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2020, 15:59:06 PM »
There is a member on Pattern review who linked to a video she made of her sewing space.  It is a master of organisation.
Now that is what I call a well organised room.

I see she has my favourite flat-blade unpick tool as well. I got mine years ago, probably at a show, and have never seen it again anywhere.

My storage boxes are mainly Really Useful ones which fit the Storage4crafts units. I don't think I have seen ArtBin ones apart from on-line.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 16:01:07 PM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BriarRose

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2020, 16:49:01 PM »
I see she has my favourite flat-blade unpick tool as well. I got mine years ago, probably at a show, and have never seen it again anywhere.

Where on earth do those things go? I bought a pair of serrated sheers that I'd coveted for years, brought them home, laid them on the dining room table, and- they vanished before I got them upstairs. Never saw them again. :headbang:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Sewingsue

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2020, 17:45:58 PM »
Oops, sorry, @BriarRose I meant I have never seen it on sale anywhere - mine is stored very safely and never leaves the house  :)

Disappearing shears? - that takes serious vanishing skills.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BriarRose

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 02:52:19 AM »
Oops, sorry, @BriarRose I meant I have never seen it on sale anywhere - mine is stored very safely and never leaves the house  :)

Disappearing shears? - that takes serious vanishing skills.

:facepalm:   :laughing:

It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Sewbusy

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 06:17:25 AM »

My favourite too, leftovers from my midwifery days. I just have the the blade, the the one in the video looks to be in a   scalpel holder.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:19:07 AM by Sewbusy »

wrenkins

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
That is a surgical scalpel as opposed to a sewing thing. I found these if they're any help.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
Best unpicker I've seen was watching how to fit a new zip in trousers.  He had what I thought looked like the next best thing to a large razer blade with a piece of metal enclosing one side to hold it.  It looked more like a lethal weapon to me. If I had that in my hands I'd more likely get shredded fabric and fingers.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
I am really good at making holes in fabric with a normal seam ripper.  I dread to think what I could do with something more dangerous.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »
I use scalpels a lot in work. You can make a terrible mess of almost anything.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2020, 13:13:11 PM »
@Gernella my husband has one of those blades. He loves it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Puzzler

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2020, 13:34:54 PM »
I use scalpels a lot in work. You can make a terrible mess of almost anything.  :ninja:

...or anyone.  :devil:

BrendaP

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2020, 13:58:52 PM »
Hmmmm!  Yes she's very orgnised but she had three WIPs hanging and another in a box.  Someone that organised ought to be able to finish one job before starting on the next

She has the machine sat above cupboard doors!  Even if those doors open and the contents swing out to make room for her knees, how does she swing round from overlocker to main machine?

Apparently she's another who can watch TV and sew at the same time!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2020, 16:11:25 PM »
I watched that video and was perplexed.
I have a LOT of fabric - which takes up a lot of space.