The Sewing Place

Horn Workstation

Ohsewsimple

Re: Horn Workstation
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 13:00:38 PM »
So glad it’s not just me @Ploshkin.  I pull my machine right forward.  But I’m short so that’s my excuse.  :)   And before anyone says.....
Yes I can raise my chair higher.  But then I can’t reach the foot pedal.   :rolleyes:  I probably need a platform under the bench.

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 13:06:40 PM »
I suppose the storage bits work for someone who has a smallish amount that they want to keep within the single unit (but I don't understand the boxes stored upright that they have on the current small cabinet).

I like the large area around the SM when it is dropped and understand why the larger cabinets would be popular with quilters because of that area round the machine. Just seems easier to have the fabric I am stitching lying flat.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kad

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 13:11:55 PM »
I got rid of mine ( bought 2nd hand),  'cos I'd nowhere to put my legs if I had the chair at the height to match the work surface especially when the machine was lowered for quilting. I sold it on to my 5'1"friend, who loves it. Me, I use Ikea's height adjustable table.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 16:02:32 PM »
Ah, I'm 5' 2" so that's probably why it works for me.  If I had more room I don't think I would buy one but having already got one I won't get rid of it even when I have more room.
Life's too short for ironing.

twopence

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 16:36:29 PM »
I’m 5’ 3” and find that my cabinet is just right with my Bernina set in it.  When I use a machine on the table top I find it a bit high.  I can fit my knee lift when the machine is down but rarely use it as I can’t remember not to try and start sewing while the foot is lifted.  It’s probably a matter of practise but I don’t make time for that.  I use the wheeled computer chair that DS had which fits into the knee space when I leave it open.  It has a cabinet on the right side which can be pulled out and fitted onto the door to make an L shape which I use for my overlocker.

It’s open most of the time in the dining room where the kitchen was before the extension was built.  When we have visitors I can put it away quickly and it looks neat though there’s often a partially made quilt folded on the top.

If I had a sewing room I would keep it but would perhaps buy another machine with a big harp and put that in a seweasy table.

At the moment I have pulled it round to the dining table to support the quilt I’m working on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 20:41:54 PM by twopence »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 19:04:20 PM »
I don't have any problem with the machine position in the outback model. You can sit in front of the needle quite comfortably. A friend of mine has a small Horn cabinet and the isn't as good - to sit in front of the needle you have to be right up against the side of the cabinet, or lean slightly sideways when you sew.