The Sewing Place

Art or embroidery?

Sara-S

Re: Art or embroidery?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 21:27:09 PM »
Why art OR embroidery? They’re not mutually exclusive options and I’d say these are both.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 21:01:28 PM »
Wow, they are incredible. It's made me want to have a go but I'm not sure if I could remember how to do all the stitches now as I haven't done any for more years than I even want to think about  :o

KayK

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
I'll admit that some of the subject matter is not my cup of tea, but that doesn't detract from the stitching skill whatsoever! I have, after a  long time managed to perfect a french knot that isn't a bunch of loops, and can do a bullion knot that doesn't look like maggots!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sewot

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »
In reply to your question" Embroidery an art form"?
This is only my humble view.
It is all to do with taste and if it captures someone.
It is not so much the embroidery itself but " how it is done".
Its not what you do its how you do it la la la la.
If it is executed in such a way that it creates " an idea" and something to think about and also comunicates something to us then " yes" it is Art.
But that said , the process itself is an art form.
To describe Art is very subjective.
It's how we see it?
If what we see can be interpreted in a number of ways with our imagination then I think that constitutes Art.

William

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
Hello-

To be honest, and as a professional stage artist and composer, I really do not understand the question - this or that. Obviously the subject is embroidery, but is it not art as well?
Without delving into the questions of 'what is art' etc., They are worked by someone who obviously has a mastery of their art and they evoke a feeling - What else is 'art'?

William David
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

French NOT

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 18:22:58 PM »
@wrenkins, great find, really beautiful work (of art)....I'm partial to French Knots and will get some inspiration from these...love the use of colour as well.
You always measure Up!

LizHartley

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 21:08:15 PM »
This is art, the time taken to produce such delicate work. I'm a little impatient