The Sewing Place

Latest Bag Make

Efemera

Re: Latest Bag Make
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
Lovely bag... I do like a patterned handbag.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:45 AM »
I had endless problems getting a handle on uploading photos. I never got the same result twice. Now I save them, send them to Lunapic, resize them and insert them using the Mona Lisa icon and @UttaRetch's most excellent tute. I haven't had a hissy fit since.  :angel:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

RJR_38

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 14:47:52 PM »
@Vezelay The pattern is called the turn-around Cross Body bag by Spencer Ogg

https://www.spencerogg.com/product/the-turnaround-cross-body-bag-pdf-bag-sewing-pattern/

I only use patterns by her or Becky Frost now as they are both designed for domestic machines and give such great results with very clear instructions.

@Lowena I was the same as you but really wanted to try so I started less than a year ago with a very basic tote bag (a few straight lines of sewing and no zips! And built it up from there. Zips are actually much easier than I thought. I have yet to ever make a button-hole though! There are still lots of things I have not tried to do on a bag.

Both the designers I mentioned above do sew-along videos for their patterns as well which I found really helpful as a beginner and even now - if I'm not sure about something in the instructions I go to that part of the video. I'm beginning to find that like patchwork there are lots of 'basic blocks' if you like and once you have done it once you know what it is the next time and it gets easier. I would say to do a tote bag pattern to start and go from there (it is a good way to use up fabrics....)

As for the photos.... it seems to be an issue with Android - that's all I can say. It works on my laptop and iPad (subject to the turning around thing which I didn't know!) but have tried it on my Samsung phone which is what I normally use with no issues and also my husbands and it won't load them at all. There is nothing to send a screenshot of as it is just like you haven't chosen a picture to attach  -< I'll just wait for either Android to do a bug-fix or the website. I'll just have to do the long-winded route for now and e-mail pics to myself (or remember to take photos for here with my tablet rather than phone!).

I already have a list of 2 or 3 more I want to make now lol

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 15:24:47 PM »
Thank you @RJR_38
I will certainly hope to diversify one day soon. Videos are not good for me as I'm not a visual learner. I need clear step by step instructions, like a recipe. I'll have a look at the pattern people you've mentioned. :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vezelay

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 15:57:46 PM »
Thanks RJR, I think it was you put me onto her compact wallet - which I actually made. I see I only have seven crossbody bag patterns  0_0 so yes I definitely need another.

If you're ever looking for a fancy zip pouch pattern I can recommend this one https://shop.lbg-studio.com/product/the-double-zip-pouch which I've made for a number of. I always keep a couple standing by for emergency gifts.

Syrinx

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 16:15:20 PM »
Jumping into your much more experienced bag making skills. Recommended foam fusible for the more structured bag? It's a bit of a minefield. Zips and buttons make sense, but unless it's batting or lightweight interfacing I'm lost

Lilian

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 16:22:11 PM »
Lovely bag @RJR_38 and great fabric.  That looks about the size I use for dog walking to keep the paraphernalia in  :)
Willing but not always able :)

RJR_38

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 19:44:02 PM »
@Syrinx probably Bosal for fusible. I have been known to save a bit of money by using sew-in foam with some 505 as I tend to have that on hand more often. 

@Lowena I'm like you and prefer instructions but I have found the videos to be a good back-up if there is a point if I get stuck.

@Vezelay I shall have a look, thanks. It probabkh was me as I like to have a few of the accordian wallets made up as gifts. I have just cut and fused one for myself-  it will be my first time using Harris Tweed...