The Sewing Place

Latest Bag Make

RJR_38

Latest Bag Make
« on: August 20, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
 I’m really enjoying bag making at the moment - it has even overtaken patchwork and quilting! I think I have found my ‘thing’ as I love making things that are inherently practical as well as pretty.

I have made this for a gift as a birthday in October. I think I might make a matching wallet/purse.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:11:04 AM by RJR_38 »

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Latest Bag Make
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »
I’d l9ve to see your bag but I can’t seem to view the attachment.  :(

Edit: thanks I can see them now.

Wowsers. They’re gorgeous and really well made bags.  :loveit:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:50:35 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 09:01:41 AM »
I know.... there seems to be issues uploading photos onto the site at the moment :(

Edit to add - I have found a work around but you have to insert them rather than just attach and it makes them turn sideways. Sorry about that! Hopefully the glitches will be sorted soon...
@WildAtlanticWay
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:12:40 AM by RJR_38 »

Celia

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
That bag is lovely, it looks so professional. I know what you mean about making practical things

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
Nice bag!

I clicked on the little images and they disappeared, I then refreshed the page and they reappeared  :)

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
Your bags are brilliant.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 09:37:56 AM »
Love your bag @RJR_38. Do share what pattern you used please. I have bag plans also - it's so satisfying and practical as you say. And none of that fitting malarkey!

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
Yes @Vezelay. Bag plans, let's call them that.  :hug: I bought all the ingredients last year to do a byAnnie week-ender.... Suffice to stay it has stalled....
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »
That is stunning.  Something like that would be worth loads of money @RJR_38 I think you've found your vocation there.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
I'd love to make bags,purses etc  but as I can't sew,other than straight lines of running stitch for p&q  ( zips,buttonholes, lining, pockets are a mystery to me ) I'll admire your beautiful work
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 09:50:13 AM »
I've just dug out some bag patterns (very simple ones!) to try out. Your bag is such inspiration to get on and make one, though nowhere near as lovely as yours!

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
Beautiful bag and pretty fabric too, well done.
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
I know.... there seems to be issues uploading photos onto the site at the moment :(

Edit to add - I have found a work around but you have to insert them rather than just attach and it makes them turn sideways. Sorry about that! Hopefully the glitches will be sorted soon...
@WildAtlanticWay

As I said yesterday, @RJR_38 if you post a screenshot of what is happening I will take a look at it, but nobody else has reported any problems, so it seems likely that they are at your end.  Pictures from ipads usually get inserted sideways - there is nothing a forum can do about that because the orientation information is not given in a way that a forum can read.  You can solve it by using lunapic - UttaRetch's tutorial is here.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
By the way, if you are trying to upload enormous pictures directly from a phone or tablet, you will encounter problems.

There is a lot of information about picture size here.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
The photos opened just as they should for me - using a Mac laptop.

That bag is lovely :loveit:  Sometimes I get tempted to have a go at something more complex than a simple tote but I do know that a good bag has a lot of internal under pinning - or is that inter-pinning?  :thinking:  to make it work.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.