The Sewing Place

The price of a dress

Gernella

The price of a dress
« on: August 20, 2020, 16:52:40 PM »
I was reading recently that the cost of shoes and clothes is going to rise substantially (or I might have heard, can't remember).  In those horrible adverts that line the side of newspapers, especially when you have taken a casual glance somewhere for something, they were reeling dresses at £7 each.  The most I seem to buy nowadays RTW is underwear and shoes  and I take care with the shoes as I want to be able to walk not wince.  Invariably they are more expensive than others.

So these dresses at £7, it would be interesting to see the quality of the fabric, the insides and how much each item to buy in bulk?

A few years ago I was looking for a bathroom storage drawer unit and wanted one like I already had for upstairs.  Couldn't find one but did finish up on a website, could have been something like Alibaba where something similar was being offered for bulk buying at a price of around £3.60 per unit.  I was flabbergasted.

So what price a £7 dress and what does the machinist get, if anything. 

Would price going up on clothes have an adverse effect on price of fabric by the meter :S

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

jintie

Re: The price of a dress
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 18:08:32 PM »
@Gernella ,  some retailers now tell us more about what their garnent workers are being paid.
I would also like to see that info for textile weavers. And also for all the toxins  and water used.
I have stopped buying white clothes and household linens after reading a book called Time To Eat The Dog.
Rottweiler with scissors

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 18:19:25 PM »
One of the suppliers I buy from in India pays a little over $6 a day to their textile workers, and it is considered a good job.  Those who make sarees make less ($5 a day).  The company is also considered safe and they have almost no turnover.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 18:24:18 PM »
Well @jintie we do usually (if no one else in the house) do two wees to a flush.  We do a lot of things differently now, but more in part to going on a water meter.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 18:26:08 PM »
Ooh I could never compromise on flushing the loo.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 22:23:17 PM »
I've seen dresses for £5 and they look as cheap as you can imagine.  There is no way that the workers who sew those dresses were paid a decent wage.  Indeed, the recent lockdown in Leicester was thought to have stemmed from a garment factory where workers were getting about £3.60 per hour.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 16:45:03 PM »
Trouble is @UttaRetch a small picture running down the side of a newspaper page, they look okay, I bet they get plenty of takers,  whether the get sent back is another matter.