The Sewing Place

Pellon

Syrinx

Pellon
« on: August 20, 2020, 18:30:20 PM »
I'm prepping Christmas  :scream: and dug out some of my as yet unused bag patterns.

I'm not worried about the sewing all together, or the zips, or the whole lining malarkey (famous last words!) but I am getting very frustrated in my fusible search.

Every tutorial I've watched or read says use Pellon interfacing/foam/fleece. I look it up, it looks great. Then I go to buy and it's a US store. They'll ship to UK but expensive. I try to find UK stockists and either I'm being a moron (quite possible) or Pellon isn't stocked in the UK.

If the first - I imagine it's because I don't really do bags. I know where to get hardware from but not the important bag thickening stuff so I'm probably looking in the wrong place - where do I get it in the UK!?

If the second - what is the UK equivalent? As I don't do stuff unless it's batting I don't even know where to start the hunt for good quality, as I'd prefer good quality stuff that won't ruin my fabric or iron and will stand the test of time.

Also how come America gets all the nice cool stuff for not very much money. I need to send a friend there to live so they can just post me stuff  :laughing:

coffeeandcake

Re: Pellon
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 19:20:13 PM »
Pellon is a trade name, like Vlieseline. If you really want some try Amazon but I would just buy the Vlieseline equivalent.

StitchinTime

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 19:33:05 PM »
Why would they change a name that everyone knew for one that nobody can pronounce??   :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 19:34:50 PM »
@Acorn Maybe the l, e, s, and e are silent.

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 19:45:12 PM »
as the others have said, Pellon is American and Viseline is our UK equivalent. The charts are quite helpful

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 20:12:11 PM »
We get all the cool stuff because we're cool.  :dance:  Silly girl.  :laughing:

I go out of my way to not use Pellon products. Most of it is low end big box store garbage. Imho.

Timtex is better than the Pellon equivalent. Great where you want more structure. Fusible fleece is good for strong shaping without stiffness.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »
@Syrinx Cotton Patch do a lot of interfacings and stabilisers.  They do have Timtex (equivalent to Pellon).  They seem to have goid information for each product with regard to weight, uses etc.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »
@Syrinx  Dont doughtys do it, I remember seeing some odd looking and expensive fusi for bags at their last roadshow?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »
@Syrinx if you are still struggling let me know and I will do my best to help find the viseline equivalents. Don’t spend a fortune in American imports like timtex - there is honestly no need. Our stuff works just as well

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 14:01:04 PM »
I downloaded a chart showing the UK equivalents of mainly American interfacings from The Cotton Patch website.  If you can't find it, please let me know and I will send you a copy.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 16:34:09 PM »
Oh you lot are geniuses! Of course it's a brand name  :headbang: how did I not realise that

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 16:46:35 PM »