The Sewing Place

Next project

sewmuchmore

Re: Next project
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 18:25:42 PM »
Nearly finished, was just about to put the zip in today and realised that the ladies on the collar where all upside down, so that had to come off.
I have gone with the yellow zip and yellow topstitching. The coat is going together very nicely and do like the shape, i am thinking it would also make a dress with a bit of hacking, watch this space.
Should get it finished tomorrow and will post pics.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 18:47:25 PM »
I really enjoyed making my Casey - and sewing with softshell is wonderful.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

charley

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 18:52:41 PM »
I do like this, and really glad that you went with the yellow zip. Looking forward to seeing the completed garment.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 19:09:06 PM »
@Acorn how did you finish the seams that aren't top stitched? i.e. around the edge of the facing. A the moment mine are raw but i am thinking a Hong Kong finish

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 19:31:56 PM »
I left the edges of the facing raw - it doesn't fray, and is still as crisp as it was when I finished it.  I felt that doing anything would add bulk.  Everywhere else is topstitched.

I added a hood to mine after a while - I used the hood part from another pattern and put buttonholes on the hood part and buttons on the collar. 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »
@Acorn i did think about a hood but i am not a lover my other thought was a sou'wester hat. Oh and the pockets are not overgenerous so i am going to make a little crossbody bag for all the essential: poo bags, dog treats bribes and car keys.

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
I originally made myself a matching hat in this pattern from Gina Renee Designs, which is just 6 identical pieces...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

... but it kept blowing off in the wind!

I am intending to sew up the side seam pockets and add some patch pockets in a better place at some point as well.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 19:16:54 PM »
What a pigs ear i have made today. Not at all happy with the collar and i have taken it out it out now 4 times. Trouble is when the second one went in i did all the grading and under stitching and there is only so many times you can unpick softshell, plus because i graded seams one side of my zip in a bit distorted at the top due to all the unpicking.  :'(
After spending 4 hours today and not getting any were i am not sure what i am going to do with it. sigh.
I feel i need to unpick all the zip and facing (and the under stitching) and start again. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Janet