The Sewing Place

Today's daft mistake

Syrinx

Re: Today's daft mistake
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 20:02:14 PM »
I may have accidentally fused fusible interfacing to my iron. Forgot to turn it over (black on black) and put the tea towel on top.

Cue rush to the shops to buy fresh tumbledryer sheets to clean it all up. Took 4 whole sheets, but the iron is now squeaky and brand new looking! Phew!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 22:27:41 PM »
Oh don’t that make you cross @Surest1tch ?   
We have a dishwasher but still the cups, glasses etc  often only make it to the worktop....on top of the dishwasher!! :angry:

Lilian

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
Tumble dryer sheets? @Syrinx  how does that work? I use wash up liquid on a warm iron to get it off. :)
Willing but not always able :)

Syrinx

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 13:13:16 PM »
Oh it's amazing! So you turn the iron back on and let it heat up. Fold a teatowel up, pop a dryer sheet on it, wipe the iron on it. All the sticky stuff comes right off. You can also fold/screw it up and wipe stuff off the iron with it (I did a mix of both as a lot of interfacing on it!)

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 14:35:14 PM »
Thanks I will try that next time  :)

eluceo

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 21:46:42 PM »
Forgetting to top up my supply of white thread.  Why do I always run out of white and black thread but more importantly why am I always surprised when I run out.   :facepalm:  Clearly, I have some planning issues.

fajita

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 16:17:30 PM »
Mistake of the day? Right here. Right now.

In case you can’t figure it out, the grid is a plastic layer which helps to align things.
It needs to be taken away before stitching commences.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 16:41:18 PM »
 :laughing:

I do like your fabric though @fajita:loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 18:20:10 PM »
 :laughing:  Looks like your positioning was spot on though @fajita
I knew there was a reason I don’t usually use these

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
I've made a second jersey top out of leftovers and a remnant later offered. Doing swimmingly well until I got to the binding. Not much fabric left managed to get one cut but smaller than usual, which I thought I could manage with, it was too small.

So plan B, I did another one turning the fabric the other way, but had to add a piece in the back.  Looked fine, machined, coverstitched, went onto the sleeves, which were just over 3/4 with lack of fabric, which was a bonus as I expected only enough for short sleeves.  Coffee.

Went back to do the hem. Then started looking at the neck again, it was alright, but it wasn't.  The fabric is not smooth, it is made to look knitted, not cable knit but in raised strips.  My strips were horizontal and not vertical and the more I  looked at it the worse it looked.

So, some ripper work this afternoon, which is going to be a dog to do, when I sew things down they are not going anywhere after.   

What I don't like about this stuff as well is how it coverstitches.  My sample was fine but looked tight later, which I realised  was because the test piece was on the straight and I was stitching across the strips.

And after making a super viscose knit dress I anticipated enough for a top with short sleeves with the leftovers.  I measured yesterday, not enough.

Going back to the remnant top, I might go to my remnant tub of jersey leftovers, there might be something there that I can use  for the neck without having lots of joins.

Bummer.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

snoozi soozi

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
Oo eck @fajita
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sewot

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:29 PM »
Yep!!!
You are not alone!!!!
I have sewn up a pair of pants real good.
So much so that I couldnt get them on!!!
I have also sewn the pockets up so you cannot get anything in them and the pocket pouches to the trouser legs!!!!
 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Pete

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 22:26:43 PM »
Oh it's amazing! So you turn the iron back on and let it heat up. Fold a teatowel up, pop a dryer sheet on it, wipe the iron on it. All the sticky stuff comes right off. You can also fold/screw it up and wipe stuff off the iron with it (I did a mix of both as a lot of interfacing on it!)

Who knew? Thanks for that. Perfect timing. I was just wondering where to get iron-cleaner here as I just finished mine the other week.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 22:27:37 PM »

I didn't quite think this would work, but today I got my iron sticky from interfacing.  I thought, I would try it and it is AMAZING!  I really thought it would stick to the iron  :faints: could hardly believe my eyes.  I got a nice clean shiny iron and it smells good too.  Thank you so much @Syrinx  :thumbsup:

William

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 13:23:00 PM »
Hallo-

We've all been there - sleeve put in backwards :(... Then set in too far (no longer big enough) :facepalm:...

then attached it to the wrong hole :headbang:... then finally put on correctly :dance:

Looking forward to sleeve nr 2...

William
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.