The Sewing Place

Today's daft mistake

snoozi soozi

Today's daft mistake
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
Decided to start making up a pair of trousers which I cut out aaages ago, not really feeling in the mood but thought it would kick-start my mojo which has been absent for a while now.

Well, I only went and edge-stitched both pairs of pockets together, then stitched them onto the front of the trousers. Can't comprehend how it happened, how many pockets have I stitched into garments??   :headbang:

Don't know whether to laugh or cry so I've left it for now, made a cuppa and then will get ready to go out  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

Re: Today's daft mistake
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »
 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »
Bummer!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
Yep, leave it alone for now.  Probably safer!   :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 12:50:32 PM »
@snoozi soozi, at least you have messed up on something proper.  I have totally failed at making a single wearable mask.  :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 13:05:35 PM »
@UttaRetch ,you just haven’t found the right one for you yet.  The patterns are all wrong.  Ooh, where have we heard that before?   :thinking:

I have tried a few and still not come up with the perfect one.  The worst one I think was one that was designed by an engineer that supposedly had taken all sorts of things into consideration and shaped it for a human face.  Major fitting problem, didn’t sit anywhere near where it should have. 

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 13:34:13 PM »
I can pm you a super easy one that actually fits very well. It is fabric hungry though.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 16:41:30 PM »
I just can't get the elastic in the holes I've made and out of around seven I made only two are what you might call presentable (to someone else).  They are too flipping fiddly and to be honest I regard them as not worth the time and trouble when I can get on with something I can wear.  I don't really want to make a statement either, bought pasty blue will do me nicely and they are washable.

Every page you turn coming through the letter box is masks, masks and more masks.  A whole new industry has been set up on the back of Covid.  I need a grumpy doofer.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 17:37:03 PM »
We are on the same page @Gernella.  My mask making foray is over.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 13:56:36 PM »
I have just sewed a dart the wrong way and didn't realise until after I had pressed it so I had to unpick, press it out, and re-do it.  It's a gored skirt which I have made at least four times over the past few years so you would think I could make it in my sleep.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 22:01:16 PM »
I took pictures of my sampler fmq, popped on the thread and posted. Checked the links work and saw I've missed a whole square and two half squares of the watermelon fmq

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 22:15:10 PM »
We are on the same page @Gernella.  My mask making foray is over.

Mine never started. I bought OH a package with multiple washable ones and a new box of the disposable ones I'm used to wearing for house and yard work. I don't go through many of those as it is.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:43 AM »
Still making daft mistakes on my skirt.  I was overlocking the seam allowance and wanted to use just 2 threads, firstly I was threading the lower looper incorrectly, it took me over half an hour to sort this out.  When I eventually overlocked the edges they weren't very flat, and when I came to do the lining seam edges I realised that the little lever for rolled hemming was in the wrong position.  The machine is now set up correctly and I hope I can finish the skirt without any further problems  :headbang:.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 13:11:32 PM »
Knocking out a long sleeved t-shirt. Quite silky Jersey fabric. Top stitches my neck binding, super happy with it - next side seams! Did one whoe side then realised instead of sewing the side seam with my faux over lock stitch, I'd sewn the side front seams together and the two sleeves  :headbang: unpicking has begun.

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 14:44:13 PM »
My big mistake for today was emerging from my sewing room where I was quite happy and seeing half a bowl full of pots hubby had created and dumped them  :angry:. So now after playing hell up I'm in too much of a grump to go back and finish what I started  :headbang:.