The Sewing Place

Directional print bunting

charlotte

Directional print bunting
« on: August 22, 2020, 00:13:51 AM »
So I have this fabric to make bunting for my wedding:
Obviously flowers grow up so ideally I want them all growing from the pointy tip of each pennant towards the twill tape the pennants hang from.

However, this will almost halve the amount of usable fabric as I will be left with six upside-down isosceles triangles for every seven I cut (plus two right angled triangles at each end, which are also unusable).

So do I:
1. Have (almost) half the pennants with upside-down flowers? (It will be hanging from the barn beams and no one will be looking that closely.)
2. Accept that half the fabric goes in the bin?
3. Use some magical better cutting layout that some genius is about to share with me?

In case it makes a difference, the finished pennants are 18cm in width and 23cm long, the fabric is 140cm wide, I have 4.5m and I will use a 10mm seam allowance.

jintie

Re: Directional print bunting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 06:02:08 AM »
I make rectangular bunting, cutting a V-shaped notch in the bottom. Sorry, can't do a photo.
Rottweiler with scissors

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »
I would make the bunting as a rectangular shape at the top, with the bottom curved.  That would mean you would see more of the print, and you wouldn't waste as much fabric. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 19:00:26 PM by sewingj »

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
Unless the barn beams are at eye level no-one will see. It would be a shame to waste half the fabric.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 08:14:19 AM »
 @charlotte  I agree with @sewingj  people won't be looking that closely at the fabric, they will be more interested in your lovely dress.

I have rotated the photo - I think it will show as rotated here - and it really doesn't look that wrong.  Wild flowers do sometimes grow in all directions.  I think you will be fine having some of the triangles the other way around.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:48:11 AM »
Thanks everyone!  :D

According to the venue I need a minimum of 35m of bunting so I’m up for maximising fabric usage!! (I also have some plains to alternate with.)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »
Nothing wrong with picking flowers and hanging them upside down!  Gorgeous fabric.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
Option 1 every time. Just think about hanging baskets.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »
I hoper youvefinished your dress @charlotte  because youre going to be on Bunting duty for a very long time ... 35 metres ... rather you than me !!!

I think you are, understandably, overthinking this ... People will see beautiful handmade bunting, they wont be looking at the orientation .... alternate each flower bunt (?) with a lovely pastel solid or tone on tone of the colours used in the print That way you'll get twice as much bang from the patterned fabric.

I agree with rectangular, curved bottom edge Bunting often gets lost when it blows about as the pointy area is so thin.

Good luck, I seriously hate making bunting, make it as simple as you can!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »
Will there be booze? If yes then there's your answer. Anyone who is sober enough to notice and stoop-ed enough to say something gets scratched off the Christmas card list.

It's enough that you are making the bunting.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.