The Sewing Place

Yellow staining on white Featherweight

Manuela

Yellow staining on white Featherweight
« on: August 22, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
I spent today giving the white Featherweight I bought late last year some well deserved TLC, and she now sews like a champ. While I’m happy with the chipped paint, I am somewhat bothered by yellow staining around the hand wheel and left of the throat plate. I suspect these might be nicotine stains coming from a previous home.
Does anyone know how to get fid of them without damaging the exterior. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

LeilaMay

Re: Yellow staining on white Featherweight
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 15:37:59 PM »
Hi :)
If it is nicotine, then slightly soapy or detergent water, carefully applied, might shift it? Try dipped cotton wool pads? Or fragrance-free baby wipes?

The featherweight shop use the following for cleaning and polishing, and I have found  the combination very good:
https://singer-featherweight.com/collections/shop/products/zymol

Hope you find a solution that suits you.

Enjoy
Leia

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 15:56:59 PM »
Could it be oil thats yellowed over time?

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 18:10:41 PM »

Yes it could - which is why it might need some more punchy cleaner. But you don't want to use anything that will scratch, or soften the surface, or stain.

:)

Mr Twingo

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 22:57:44 PM »

If it is, then paraffin will clean it up nicely. When I'm restoring machines, it's what I use to remove all the dried on grease and oil. A little goes a long way.

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 01:56:21 AM »
Thank you all. I ordered Zymöl and wax from the featherweight shop and will try a small area with paraffin.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 15:38:02 PM »
DH made the mistake of writing on the white board with the wrong pen.  Endless wiping didn't get it off and still marked, until I used my Micellar water.  Came off straight away. The yellow on sewing machines is a bit different, some seem to go on separate parts of the machine as if different types of plastic used.  I bet someone has found a solution on  the internet somewhere..
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 15:44:45 PM »
Found one one Forum:

"The various DIY "retro bright" recipes works very well on old 70s and 80s plastic. It's a bit messy to work with, if you use arrowroot or wall paper glue as thickener in stead of corn starch you don't have to stick it in the microwave. I've done it a few times and I think the yellowing largley is a film of dirt and grime. In cases where you can take the plastic cover completely off and run it in the dishwasher once or twice it turns out just as white and clean again. Be careful with the dishwasher, not all plastics can take the heat, but a lot of hard plastic do."

or this:
http://www.gogokim.com/2018/08/how-to-make-yellow-plastic-look-new.html

There are lots more with various ideas.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

fajita

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 16:50:43 PM »
@Gernella re. The whiteboard. If the wrong pen is used, you can go over the marks with the correct pen and then wipe it. It will clean up nicely.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 08:51:28 AM »
Just to be clear here though - the Featherweight is not a plastic machine, and doesn't have any plastic parts - it's a metal case with white paint/enamel-like coating.

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/the-white-featherweight-221k

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 11:18:38 AM »
@Gernella, as LeilaMay states, the white Featherweight is not made of plastic.
@Mr Twingo, it looks like paraffin, kerosene (called Fo Sui in Cantonese) and the likes have mysteriously disappeared in Hong Kong since the protests... I’ll have to wait for the Zymöl cleaner to arrive, it gets good reviews by the Featherweight groups.

TartanPaint

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »
Could sugar soap work?
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
@TartanPaint, sugar soap contains an abrasive agent - so it might cause further damage on the paint.

Sewbusy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 13:47:10 PM »
I find Goo Gone excellent for cleaning dirt metal painted/enameled  bodies like Bernina's, and it doesn't require a lot of rubbing.  Accumulated old oil and whatever has  soaked into that and been left untouched for years... Just a few drops, I use eye make up remover pads, smooth it over and leave for a few minutes.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 19:40:37 PM »
@Mr Twingo, it looks like paraffin, kerosene (called Fo Sui in Cantonese) and the likes have mysteriously disappeared in Hong Kong since the protests... I’ll have to wait for the Zymöl cleaner to arrive, it gets good reviews by the Featherweight groups.

You could try WD40. Many people think of it as a lubricant, but it is a mild solvent and works a treat at removing sticky stuff.