The Sewing Place

It's got me beat

sewmuchmore

It's got me beat
« on: August 22, 2020, 16:51:27 PM »
So this is one of those jobs you wish you hadn't started but i decided to recover mums chair for her before it goes to the residential home. Now bear in mind i have a level 3 qual. in upholstery and have done some pretty major recovering work in the past, but this has me baffled.
I have removed all but the arm bits of fabric but just cannot work out how they were done originally. There is no evidence of staples/screws etc. Thought i could get to it once the sides were of, but not going to happen.
Has anyone ever tackled anything like this or got any ideas. I can only think that it has all been glued together with industrial strength glue.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 16:53:39 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

Re: It's got me beat
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 16:56:56 PM »
Is there any evidence of glue?  :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 17:05:01 PM »
Is there any evidence of glue?  :ninja:
I can't see any evidence but the only way i can see of finding out is to get a hammer and chisel under the arm rest and price it of but that is going to be a last resort.

Janet

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 17:11:37 PM »
I have two armchairs that look very traditional and need recovering. They came originally from an antiques market but because of the labelling they have to be  modern. Having done a bit of upholstering before I thought I might have a go at them, but the more I looked at it the more I was convinced that glue had to have been used.

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 18:02:26 PM »
I have some chairs that have wooden arms but are covered and padded with the same fabric as the chair, however there is a hidden zip - so may be that is your answer.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 18:08:07 PM »
Never thought to look for a zip, will check when i go to the house tomorrow.

Janet

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 20:00:32 PM »
Sewmuchmore, I have just almost turned the chair upside down to have a good look at the arm.  An ordinary zip has been used, one side has been stapled into the wood whilst the other side is sewn into the arm fabric and padding.  Also the way they have put the zip in is that the zip pull is well hidden and tucked away, so if you can imagine this the zip is inside out.  I would probably break a few finger nails trying to get  the part of the  zip pull  moving.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 20:41:22 PM »
@Elnnina  I had to take the cover off a child's mattress made like that. I hooked a staple into the loop of the zip slider and was able to open it enough to reach the zip pull proper.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:51:59 AM »
Sewmuchmore and toileandtrouble whilst sitting in my chair last evening I was running my hand over where the zip is and I think possibly it is an open end zip that they have used, and I suppose this would make sense.  It is certainly a very tight fit and then the fabric and its wadding come up and over the actual arm and then fills in the gap from the arm rest to the base  where again it is stapled into that area.  Needless to say I have not tried to remove it.  I know that upholsterers do seem to have massive power in their arms  for pulling etc.  I tried to remove the cover from the seat cushion and I couldn't manage it, yet my ex son in law found it no problem - well he was an upholsterer.  However in the factory they have a machine that squashes the foam and then the cover slides on - easy.