The Sewing Place

It would be rude not to

justpottering

It would be rude not to
« on: August 22, 2020, 18:53:21 PM »
Someone in the village has ‘an old singer hand crank sewing machine free to anyone that collects’  on the village Facebook page, so I’m on my way to collect it, no idea if it works or what state it’s in but I’ll have fun finding out  :D
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

justpottering

Re: It would be rude not to
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 20:07:02 PM »
It works, sews beautifully actually has extra feet too.
Needs a clean and oil then it will be good to go  :D

There’s instructions with it which state
“ the following instructions are worded so that they may be easily understood by everyone”

Do you think that’s aimed at the ‘little woman?’  :laughing:

The book is for a 27k & 28k so it’s probably one of them I’m going to look up the number to find out more

JP

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 20:12:20 PM »
Nice!  My old one has a very similar wooden cover, but not in such good condition.  I can remember sitting in the cover as a (very) small child while my mum sewed.  It was actually my grandma's originally.  Unfortunately, it currently sits in the bottom of a wardrobe as I don't have room for it.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 20:15:05 PM »
 :loveit:  Lovely!  The decals are excellent - and that's something you can't do much about.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 20:21:54 PM »
Those decals are fabulous JP.  :loveit: I love the clickety click..... Wee taste of Solvol Autosol on the chrome will have her gleaming.
Health to enjoy. :vintage:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

justpottering

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 20:29:03 PM »
It's serial number says it's a 27K and was made between January and June 1908, it's a common one methinks as it was 'the woman's faithful friend the world over'  0_0

It also has vibrating shuttle technology (the machine I learnt to sew on had one of those  0_0 and I remembered how to thread it)

I love reading all these things from a very different era, I am glad I rescued it and I will use it, just because I can, the stitch from my sample is lovely, it might only do lockstitch, but sometimes that is all you need. Obviously only when I am not in a hurry, as it is an experience to be savoured. I love the sound of a hand crank.

Can you tell I am very very happy with it  :D

(also DH can't complain because in this house I have my very own, all mine, sewing space  :ninja: )
JP

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 20:52:25 PM »
Oh you lucky thing @justpottering , that's gorgeous.  Well done you for giving it a good home.

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 22:03:12 PM »
Love the decals.
Glad she has found a good home.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 23:59:35 PM »
It's lovely 0_0  and has gone to a very deserving new owner.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 02:02:26 AM »
Gosh, that’s a beautiful machine. I just love the craftsmanship that went into there old beauties.  <3

KayK

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 08:23:53 AM »
I have a slightly older version with a similar case and it makes the most beautiful stitch.  I was very lucky in that a friend of mine found some bobbins as it only came with one!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
Wow JP that is a beauty, and the case is lovely too - lucky you being in the right place at the right time.

So what attachments have you got?  If it would help I have a booklet from  1963 that has wonderful diagrams and instructions on how and where to use the various feet from the straight forward hemmer feet, the adjustable hemmer foot, roll hemmer, the tucker and its uses, the ruffler and how to use for gathering and also pleating, the quilter, the underbraider, the sipper, the gatherer, the edgestitcher, the buttonholer, and a rug maker.  If you would like further information please just ask - willing to help.  Incidentally this booklet was produced by Singer and called a Manual of Family Sewing Machines, and was aimed at the schools and colleges.  It also covers a lot of the earlier Singer machines and how to thread them etc. but does not include anything on a 27 or a 28.  Of course if ou need anything specific Helen Howes is the person to go to.

I have yet to do anything with either of my two oldies - really just lack of time, and I want to see if I could remove the electric part of my 201-2 treadle - it has the most horrible foot control and I really want to just be able to treadle.

Have fun today and enjoy your new toy.

steve_h

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 19:02:30 PM »
What a great machine. I looks to have been really well cared for over the years. The decals are in wonderful condition compared to most of the 27's I've seen. If it sews anywhere near as good as it looks, you've got a gem there.
Glad it was rescued by someone who will give it a good home and enjoy it.
Reproduction bobbins and shuttles are easily found for it.

eluceo

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 20:05:28 PM »
Wow that is beautiful!  :loveit:  And the Egyptian decals are very sought after by collectors.  What an amazing find!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 21:28:53 PM »
What an amazing stroke of good luck!
What a beautiful machine and in such good condition too.  :loveit: