The Sewing Place

Yay! I've done a bra toile

Ploshkin

Yay! I've done a bra toile
« on: May 16, 2017, 13:07:31 PM »
I've finally got one done. 
For years I have hated rtw bras and just cannot find one that is comfortable to wear.  I find that M & S ones seem to have very short straps these days which pulls them up at the back.   I don't have a large bust and do not need and cannot bear underwires.   One of my bugbears too is that non wired bras mainly only come in black, white and grotty beige (it's a bit better now but not a lot)

I have been promising myself a go at making a bra for ages and a while back downloaded the Cloth Habit Watson bra pattern.  I've fiddled about on and off with some bits of jersey to try and determine the right cup size and as I was so confused about fabrics I got a bra toile pack with the right fabrics and findings.  Anyway, I had a go this morning (not the long line version) - I didn't fuss too much about the finish as I had no idea whether or not it would anywhere near fit BUT IT DOES!!  I can't believe how comfortable it is - I tried it on to see how the fit was and am still wearing it.

The elastics in the toile pack were a bit wide (16mm for straps and round the bottom) and I didn't really know how to stitch them on.  There was also a fold over elastic for the top of the cups which made it a bit bulky for attaching the straps.  However it didn't stop me being able to put the thing together. 

The only  issue I have is some minor vertical wrinkles from the bust point up to the strap but I think I can get rid of those by taking off 1/4" at the centre front edge of each cup and 1/4" off the top of the cradle side seam.  I will most definitely be giving this a go in some proper fabric, I will probably start with a kit again to have all the right bits.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

Re: Yay! I've done a bra toile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 14:26:36 PM »
Well done!!!   0_0

I share your frustration that M&S appear to believe that if you don't like underwiring you must be a very boring person.  I'm not sure I have the courage to try making my own though.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 16:15:45 PM »
M&S appear to believe that if you don't like underwiring you must be a very boring person

... unless you have had surgery in which case there are non wired bras in all sorts of lovely fabrics.

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 16:22:07 PM »
Well done Plosh I'm very impressed!  There'll be no stopping you now!  :)

L :vintage:

maliw

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 17:18:36 PM »
Well done from me too. I've never been able to wear underwired bras and have tried and tried. I MUST have a go at making my own. I recently made some pants - why have I waited so long they were so easy?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 18:54:02 PM »
... unless you have had surgery in which case there are non wired bras in all sorts of lovely fabrics.
I must confess that I have bought these, even though I don't need them medically.  They are very nice, although the padding does tend to buckle if you're not very kind to them when you wash them.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
Well done.  Once you get down to it it's not as difficult as you might have thought.

The only  issue I have is some minor vertical wrinkles from the bust point up to the strap but I think I can get rid of those by taking off 1/4" at the centre front edge of each cup and 1/4" off the top of the cradle side seam.  I will most definitely be giving this a go in some proper fabric, I will probably start with a kit again to have all the right bits.

1/4 inch from each cup and 1/4 inch from both sides of the cradle add up to a total of one inch - that's a lot!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 13:24:06 PM »
1/4 inch from each cup and 1/4 inch from both sides of the cradle add up to a total of one inch - that's a lot!
Yes, that occurred to me when I thought about it.  The ¼" from each top edge of the cradle should be ok as it gaped very slightly under the arms but I think I will allow a bit extra seam allowance at the back where the hook tape joins in in case I need it.  The ¼" from the centre front of the cup just pulls the top edge of the cup down a bit and the wrinkles seem to disappear.
The fitting advice with the pattern suggested that the vertical wrinkles meant the cup was too big and advised altering the seam where the 2 parts of the cup join but I thought that might change the shape of the cup and have a knock on effect somewhere else whereas just pulling very slightly sideways on each end of the cup where it joins the cradle made it look spot on.
I've got plenty more toile fabric to experiment.  I'll have to stock up on elastic.
To be honest, the toile I did yesterday is so wearable and comfortable that I don't mind having another go with the same fabric.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 23:32:59 PM »
Much respect! Never tried bra-making - although I say it each time I go through the agony of buying new ones!  I'm the opposite - I only wear bras with all the stuff- underwires, padding, so I reckon making them might be problematic.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
I really want to get on with bra-making soon. I have the Craftsy class.

Currently being stabbed in the arm by a sharp underwire which has popped slightly on the side. Yet another bra on its last legs.

I buy the cheap ones (still £18 each...) which break after about 3 months  :angry: