The Sewing Place

The right side and the other side!

Sewot

The right side and the other side!
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:03:41 AM »
I have problems sometimes in deciding which side is the " Right " side .
With some fabrics it can be very challenging.
Is there a secret?
Pete

Renegade Sewist

Re: The right side and the other side!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 06:40:21 AM »
The tenter hook holes along the selvage. The part that pokes up is the front or right side.

Now, fabric has two sides and you should think of it that way. The one that best suits your project and design aesthetic is the one to use as the face fabric or public side.

As for manufacturing the printed side is the the right side. Corduroy, chenille and terry the raised side. Batik it's usually the slightly more intensely colored side but that's true of all hand dyed fabric. Use the side you prefer for all hand dyed.
Example, is it crepe backed satin, or satin backed crepe? I've used it both ways.

For fabrics that don't seem to have a definite front/back like a fairly smooth solid color just pick a side, mark it and be consistent. I usually pin a label on every piece so I can be consistent.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
Sometimes you can use the 'other' side in particular places for a subtle variation in texture or shade but as Renegade Sewist says, you must be consistent.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 19:31:42 PM »
is it crepe backed satin, or satin backed crepe? I've used it both ways.

New Look 6531 is designed to do just that.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 20:17:21 PM »
Use is whatever side you like the look of the best, I've reversed fabric a few times because I've liked the look of the wrong side better than the correct side. It's your creation and as such you don't have to follow the conventional way  :thumbsup:.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 20:19:16 PM by Surest1tch »